PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] replace xfce with gnome 3

windowsfree
September 30th, 2016, 04:13 PM
Hello,

Is it possible to replace the xfce environment in Xubuntu 16.04 with Gnome 3 environment?

Can you show me where to do this?

Thanks.

Frogs Hair
September 30th, 2016, 07:19 PM
Gnome 3 could mean the gnome-shell , gnome (full desktop environment), gnome-session-flashback.

It's possible to add and remove additional desktop environments from the repository though I've never removed the native DE. The synaptic package manager is the best tool I know of for adding and removing desktop environments though I'm not sure you can remove xfce without affecting the Xubuntu desktop.

windowsfree
September 30th, 2016, 07:21 PM
Thank you for the quick reply, I will try this after generating an image of my HD as it is.
:)

ajgreeny
September 30th, 2016, 07:34 PM
In general terms it is not so much a replacement as an additional DE that is added to the system.

Totally removing a DE is not such a simple act as perhaps you think it is, but adding ubuntu-gnome, which is just a metapackage which pulls in everything needed for ubuntu-gnome, should be easy in 16.04 using whatever package management you normally use; I would suggest you use synaptic for maximum detail on everything that will be installed alongside the ubuntu-gnome package.

You can remove xubuntu-desktop package, another metapackage, with synaptic as well but it will not remove all the packages that make up xubuntu as it just pulls in everything needed for xubuntu but does not remove them when you remove it.

There is some info at http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/tag/pure-ubuntu/ for removal of full DEs from systems leaving another pure DE system, but I have never used it and it is not yet updated for 16.04 as far as I can see.

vasa1
October 1st, 2016, 02:36 AM

There is some info at http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/tag/pure-ubuntu/ for removal of full DEs from systems leaving another pure DE system, but I have never used it and it is not yet updated for 16.04 as far as I can see.A quote from ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=416802&p=12695426

... Truth be told, I may not do many updates at all in the future. I had grand plans to keep this up indefinitely, but things have been getting busier at work ...

windowsfree
October 4th, 2016, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the replies, I have added the Gnome 3 desktop successfully. I will keep both DE as there appears to be no issue and I can just choose at login.

Thank you.

windowsfree
October 5th, 2016, 03:38 PM
I installed gnome 3 and all seemed well for a few days. Not I am getting an error when logging in. I sent in the error as prompted. Is there an issue with XFCE and Gnome 3 being installed on same computer. I could understand conflicts if using KDE, but don't understand why these can't work side by side.
There are 2 users on the computer. User 1 gets the error when logging into XFCE. User 2 gets the error when logging into Gnome3. User 1 tried logging into Gnome 3 and error pops up again.

Any suggestions, other than removing Gnome 3 ?

Frogs Hair
October 5th, 2016, 07:02 PM
Does the Apport/error reporting system open at each login ? If you have reported the error you can check a box to ignore the same error in the future. Persistent errors are addressed by developers if enough user are affected.

windowsfree
October 12th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Reinstalled OS, dual booting Xubuntu and Manjaro Gnome. all is good.