PDA

View Full Version : Had enough of the Redmond-based coloured tiles company

macbreak
September 30th, 2016, 04:15 AM
Having battled for THREE DAYS with Microsoft over a Lumia which is FIVE days old, and faulty, and since they don't want to know any more and refuse to replace it, that's put the final nail in the coffin for Microsoft, and I don't want to know about using their products.

I've used Ubuntu since the first ever release, and I am about to switch back to it full time for daily use, so if anyone needs me or wants any help or just a chat and a giggle, hit me up, buttercup!

Ciao, God bless.

MartyBuntu
September 30th, 2016, 10:39 PM
Do you not have a warranty for the Lumia?

CantankRus
October 1st, 2016, 12:27 AM
So you're the one that bought a Microsoft phone. :p

macbreak
October 1st, 2016, 12:31 AM
Do you not have a warranty for the Lumia?

Indeed I do, but alas, Microsoft seem to have a minimalist stance on ethics and customer service.

macbreak
October 1st, 2016, 12:36 AM
So you're the one that bought a Microsoft phone. :p

Haha! :)

I actually quite like it - I got the 640 XL *and* it's baby brother, the standard 640, for £85 *brand new* (for BOTH), and it's a solid system (if a little unsupported) apart from a few horrendous bugs with the fundamental operation of a mobile OS, which they still haven't seemed to fix (after HOW many years?), which smacks of a clueless company who are just all over the place and don't know how to plan, market, develop and deploy their products. Not *all* their products are so awfully buggy - I give any platform a few chances year to year, I am determined to not give up on something just because the masses sneer with disapproval, because I am a geek and a hardcore one. Besides which, the Lumia cameras are unrivaled for me as a photographer.

I am 100% certain of a successful resolution to my annoyances with MS CS departments. I am not a mug and do not allow companies to walk all over me, but then I am not arrogant or pushy, I always stick to being polite and asking how their day is going, being charming without overdosing it too much, and being kind and accepting that they're merely doing a job which is, for the most part I am sure, not THAT rewarding or profound, so if I can help make their day better and cheer them up, crack a few jokes and have a laugh, EVEN IF I don't get a result for my query that day, at least I have had a nice try at being a kind bloke and talking to them on the straight up level and sharing the happiness - there's more to life than tunnel vision and PUSHING to get ya own way, after all :)

CantankRus
October 1st, 2016, 12:59 AM
Yes I have heard the lumia has a good camera.
Despite not using any Microsoft products for over 8 years I still like to listen to the whining of Paul Thurrott on the Windows Weekly podcast.
I like watching the mighty fall.

macbreak
October 1st, 2016, 01:06 AM
Yes I have heard the lumia has a good camera.
Despite not using any Microsoft products for over 8 years I still like to listen to the whining of Paul Thurrott on the Windows Weekly podcast.
I like watching the mighty fall.

Yeah I used to watch that a LOT, last year. Frankly, I like Paul a lot - he seems a nice person and very blunt, but sometimes his bias for Microsoft in the face of evidence to the contrary is slightly confusing, but hey, I am not him and I do not want to judge someone who seems very dedicated to his passion. Mary Jo is nice too, she always has a nice smile and seems to drag Paul and Leo back up from their doom and gloom peddling, back into the land of light heartedness and is a balanced and cheery lady, she's awesome! I used to listen to MacBreak Weekly, religiously, and as much as I am a supporter of Apple products to varying degrees (no one can deny their success and ease of use) - I find that I need a break sometimes, it's often a gush-fest for Apple, and there's nothing wrong with passion for one's area of expertise (it should be praised!) but I find it boring sometimes. Meh :)

Security Now is a good show - I like Steve Gibson, unapologetic, highly intelligent and descriptive to the last excruciating detail (rather like me.)

I do not wish harm or downfall on Microsoft, I just wish they'd realise HOW lacking in focus and slipshod their company comes across as. Hey, anyone can change, no one is beyond turning around.

CantankRus
October 1st, 2016, 01:16 AM
Ha, I listen to security now as well.
Love Steve Gibsons explanations.
When I used Windows I used to go to Steve Gibson Research for security checking and tweaks but didn't discover the podcast till later.

macbreak
October 1st, 2016, 01:19 AM
Ha, I listen to security now as well.
Love Steve Gibsons explanations.
When I used Windows I used to go to Steve Gibson Research for security checking and tweaks but didn't discover the podcast till later.

Yeah, Steve is an absolute LEGEND! Little did I know, back in 1999 when fiddling with "Shields Up!" that this lovely bloke was the brains behind it - such a nice man, very good bloke.

Have you ever watched his "Portable Dog Killer" episode? Hilarious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3bx5frHw6E

CantankRus
October 1st, 2016, 03:27 AM
Watching it now.

macbreak
October 2nd, 2016, 01:25 AM
Watching it now.

It's great isn't it! :)

CantankRus
October 2nd, 2016, 04:28 AM
Yeah, pretty funny.
I'm almost the same age as Steve... incredible to think he had the know how to be doing that sort of stuff at 16 in the 70's.