PDA

View Full Version : What would be the broad steps in building a software layer between ubuntu and windows

deepakmp316
September 29th, 2016, 05:26 AM
Hypothetically, if we were trying to build a bridge between two OSes (Ubuntu and Windows), how could we go about doing it? The effect is that, both OSes should be able to use installed softwares/programs i.e., install someone in one and you could already use it in another, yet retain the key features of respective OSes. Not talking about virtualization-something more native-where in, I could simply use the programs installed in my Win7 C drive directly from Ubuntu or vice-versa, as though they were natively installed.

Most people say isn't really possible and I get that somewhat. But what if you could win a reward of USD 10 Mn? I mean, there has got to be some level of abstraction of windows from which we can connect to a similar deeper level of Ubuntu, and possibly set up a 50 or 100 GB dedicated partition just to serve as a bridge? We could use the drive to install stuff (rather than tradition C/home) or let the OSes use the space to store intermediary files? Or some sort of software layer or API between the two OSes.

Looking to some senior guys, with some strong understanding of softwares (particularly OSes, ubuntu, windows) to shed some clarity and share perspective? How could we build something like Ubuntu-Windows-bridge?

halogen2
September 29th, 2016, 05:38 AM
Most people say isn't really possible
:-k
I'll just say "WINE (https://duckduckgo.com/Wine_%28software%29?ia=about)" and "Linux Subsystem for Windows 10", then leave this discussion to those who have used that type stuff for more than 1 hour total. :-\"

ian-weisser
September 29th, 2016, 12:20 PM
Most people say isn't really possible
It isn't really possible because an understanding of many Windows system calls isn't available to the public - that's intellectual property actively protected by Microsoft.
Were such an understanding available, WINE would have long ago duplicated near-complete Windows functionality for most applications...and few would be purchasing Windows anymore.

there has got to be some level of abstraction of windows from which we can connect to a similar deeper level of Ubuntu
Without the details of exactly how Windows functions, the closest level of abstraction is Wine (system level) and Virtualization (hardware level).Take your pick.

How could we build something like Ubuntu-Windows-bridge?
Such a bridge requires both parties to cooperate. Currently, one is not interested.

mastablasta
September 29th, 2016, 01:42 PM
Such a bridge requires both parties to cooperate. Currently, one is not interested.

possible solutions:
1. buy MS and open the code.
2. win a landslide election and use a special urgent directive to confiscate the windows source code and open it
3. a few illegal ones.