PDA

View Full Version : 14.04 to 16.04 on new hardware destroys system!

uMinded
September 29th, 2016, 04:56 AM
I was running 14.04 on my old hardware and purchased an Nvidia 1070 graphics card. Installed nvidia-current (304 I believe) and everything worked great. I then built my new system (Asus z170i Pro Gaming mobo) and plopped in my hard drives and everything worked except no sound.

I have disabled secure boot (Delete PK key, select other OS, secure boot says disabled)

I decided to upgrade to the new LTS release and after 3 installs NOTHING WORKS. I can install and boot in reduced graphics mode but when I installed nvidia-361 I had the login loop and the virtual console was full of call trace dumps and I couldn't log in. I had to chroot from the install disk to purge and install nvidia-current. This did not work and dmesg reported that the module failed to load as it tainted the kernel. I tried nvidia-331 and now I just get a solid gray screen and no virtual consoles.

What the heck is going on??!! This new mobo has a million UEFI features I don't care about in the least, all I want to do is select a boot order like the old days and have a stable system. My 15.05 install was still on kernel ~3.18 while all these problems are happening with kernel 4.4 so is their a massive Z170 hardware compatibility issue?

What should I do now?