PDA

View Full Version : Preventing my headphone cable from getting tangled in chair

teafan
September 26th, 2016, 08:58 PM
This may sound silly but I often get my headphone cable tangled in my chair and I’m trying to think of a measure to prevent this from happening and causing more damage.

Do you have any suggestions or know of a device or box which I could buy online to put on my desktop - like a switch or amp, so I don’t directly have to connect directly to my stereo socket. Something affordable, like under £20.

QIII
September 26th, 2016, 09:38 PM
I'd suggest buying a cheap extension, plugging it into the rear headphone jack, looping it up behind the desk, forward on top of your desk to the front and plugging you earphones into that.

teafan
September 26th, 2016, 09:55 PM
Thanks QIII. I use the back jack for speakers, so are there any adapters which would allow me to plug two jacks into the single socket?

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 26th, 2016, 10:03 PM
Thanks QIII. I use the back jack for speakers, so are there any adapters which would allow me to plug two jacks into the single socket?
Search Amazon.com for headphone splitter.

QIII
September 26th, 2016, 10:08 PM
Or justrun the extension from the front jack in the same manner. Maybe use a bit of tape to hold it neatly against the case as it goes back.

I'm a miser.

teafan
September 26th, 2016, 10:12 PM
Search Amazon.com for headphone splitter.

With a splitter could you select which connected device you would be sending the audio to, or does it just sent it out both channels. See, I wouldn’t want to be listening to something on my headphones while its still coming out of the speakers.

Or justrun the extension from the front jack in the same manner. Maybe use a bit of tape to hold it neatly against the case as it goes back.

I'm a miser.

Ah, indeed. :) Good solution, Thanks!

him610
September 26th, 2016, 11:59 PM
Have you considered replacing wired headphones with wireless headphones?

teafan
September 27th, 2016, 12:21 AM
Have you considered replacing wired headphones with wireless headphones?

Yea. These are bluetooth headphones I bought to be wireless and avoid snagging and cables all together. However, there seems to be a bug in Ubuntu which wont let me use them wirelessly.

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 27th, 2016, 02:08 AM
With a splitter could you select which connected device you would be sending the audio to, or does it just sent it out both channels. See, I wouldn’t want to be listening to something on my headphones while its still coming out of the speakers.

Some of the splitters have volume controls for each output. You could basically turn one off by zeroing the volume.

Bucky Ball
September 27th, 2016, 04:50 AM
A hook on the side of the desk holds the cable off the floor altogether.

Have you posted a thread asking for support with your bluetooth problem? Might avoid all of this.

teafan
September 27th, 2016, 02:00 PM
A hook on the side of the desk holds the cable off the floor altogether.

Have you posted a thread asking for support with your bluetooth problem? Might avoid all of this.

Ye. Done alot of reading regarding the issue with no solution so far. It seems to be a problem for allot of people. Going to wait and see if a solution comes up, abit tired of it now so it will have to be wired for a while.

Just convincing myself that bluetooth would need charging alot, to try and make me feel better. :P

Dragonbite
September 27th, 2016, 02:43 PM
I use the technique you can see in this video. I use this for all of my chords; headphones, power, mouse chord, network, etc. and it really has made things so much easier. Plus if they are wrapped like this and in a drawer or bin they will not get tangled with each other!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAgcE4Vi__Q

You just un-wrap the part you need. Much easier than using twist-ties and other things to hold looped cables.

(In case the video-in-the-post is not allowed, the sharable link to the YouTube page is https://youtu.be/CAgcE4Vi__Q so you can still get to it.)