PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] How to intall Different Flavor Desktops (gnome/Mate ?)

reb682
September 24th, 2016, 01:38 PM
My old machine finally died and I could only save Data. I am reinstalling some programs I had and cannot remember how to install the different Flavor desktops. Also what is the name of the Program that allows you to fill in PDF forms. (flsped?)
Thank you
**** Barmann

ajgreeny
September 24th, 2016, 05:08 PM
You would do much better to try all the different desktop versions as live systems, pick what you like best and which works for you and then install that one; it can get a bit confusing to have a lot of different desktops on one system and you will have many different applications present for every job to be done, such as text editor, file manager, etc etc.

Adding notations or filling in PDF forms in Linux is a bit of a problem, and not as easy apparently as it is in Windows, though I've seldom had to do this in either OS. On the odd occasion that I need to do so now I open the PDF with xournal, add the text needed and then export the file as a new PDF.

It may be a bit of a work-around, but it does work quite well once you've got used to it.

SeijiSensei
September 24th, 2016, 05:44 PM
Another option worth exploring is installing one flavor and then adding VirtualBox. You can try out other flavors by running them in a virtual machine.

reb682
September 24th, 2016, 05:56 PM
I had in Kubuntu place that used a drop down menu so you could pick the desk top you wanted. You went to the "Leave" button and the menu had a way to pick a "parallel session" and choose which desktop/flavor you wanted. Thanks for the options and help. I will give that some thought.
**** Barmann

ajgreeny
September 24th, 2016, 07:27 PM
I had in Kubuntu place that used a drop down menu so you could pick the desk top you wanted. You went to the "Leave" button and the menu had a way to pick a "parallel session" and choose which desktop/flavor you wanted. Thanks for the options and help. I will give that some thought.
**** Barmann
As far as I'm aware the only way to move from one DE to another is to logout, and at the login screen choose the new DE you want to use; if that is that what you mean nothing has changed.

You will still, however, get all the extra applications from the both DEs on the system meaning quite a lot of duplication of apps.

oldrocker99
September 25th, 2016, 05:27 PM
Ubuntu MATE has, in MATE Tweak, several DEs are available, from Redmond (Windows-like), to GNOME 2 to Mutiny (Unity-like). This allows one desktop to be installed, with some serious configurability.

reb682
September 28th, 2016, 12:09 AM
What I am looking for is the way to go to a terminal and get a new flavor. I think it was sudo apt-get Install (then the name of the desktop you are wanting to have in your list). Thank for any help.
**** Barmann