PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Where is my desktop?

StuartCarter
September 22nd, 2016, 06:00 PM
Since "upgrading" to Xenial I have been fighting and losing the battle to find out where all my files have gone.

So, here's a simple question. I save a file from email. I choose destination "desktop". This file does not appear on my Plasma desktop.

So where is the damn desktop?

CantankRus
September 22nd, 2016, 06:07 PM
Does it show in the ~/Desktop folder when viewed in your file browser?

StuartCarter
September 22nd, 2016, 06:08 PM
yes. The files are there. They are not on my desktop, though.

CantankRus
September 22nd, 2016, 06:12 PM
Never used Kubuntu but imagine there is a setting to show files on the actual desktop.

StuartCarter
September 22nd, 2016, 06:14 PM
Never used Kubuntu but imagine there is a setting to show files on the actual desktop.

like so many other settings, it is probably buried in some obscure submenu that makes no sense at all to people who are not software developers.

There's also the question of WHY THE LOCATION WAS CHANGED IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I wish I hadn't bothered with the so-called upgrade in the first place.

CantankRus
September 22nd, 2016, 06:16 PM
Perhaps...
http://askubuntu.com/questions/642038/how-to-show-files-in-desktop-in-kde-5-like-file-explorer

StuartCarter
September 22nd, 2016, 06:20 PM
oh, of course. It makes perfect sense to break basic functionality that has been in place since Windows 3.

Thank you for your help, CantankRus. I am seriously angry at the developers who decided to make this utterly ridiculous, stupid decision.

buzzingrobot
September 23rd, 2016, 01:36 PM
oh, of course. It makes perfect sense to break basic functionality that has been in place since Windows 3.

Thank you for your help, CantankRus. I am seriously angry at the developers who decided to make this utterly ridiculous, stupid decision.

Pretty sure the KDE option to toggle between "Folder" and "Desktop" has been there for years. Some KDE distributions set it one way as a default, others set it the other way.

It's not "utterly ridiculous" for users to NOT want file icons cluttering up their desktop. Or vice versa.

StuartCarter
September 23rd, 2016, 03:47 PM
Pretty sure the KDE option to toggle between "Folder" and "Desktop" has been there for years. Some KDE distributions set it one way as a default, others set it the other way.

It's not "utterly ridiculous" for users to NOT want file icons cluttering up their desktop. Or vice versa.

arbitrarily changing the look and feel of my desktop environment without my consent is utterly ridiculous. It is not up to a developer to decide how MY desktop looks.