PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Reader & 15.04 & PDF Printing

mark bower
September 20th, 2016, 06:50 PM
How can I get Adobe Reader to print in Ubu 15.04. It opens and reads PDFs just fine. But when I request to print the document, my printer (HP Laserjet 4) experiences just one "blink" and does not print the document; no error msg is generated; print que indicates normal processing; CUPs has no problems. Normally the printer will make a number of blinks when document is received at printer. To restate: Adobe Reader 9.5.5 works just fine, except that it will not generate a printed document. Via Okular, PDFs print with no problem (just can't get portrait output from a landscape input - and thus the need for Adobe).

My guess is that there is some sort of limited file/library problem? Would there be a log indicating the problem, and if so, how would I get to it to make a print out and return here for help?

ajgreeny
September 20th, 2016, 08:20 PM
First thing to say is that 15.04 is no longer supported and you will find it very difficult to get anyone to assist you with a problem in that version.
You should clean install 16.04 or go back to 14.04, clean install again will be needed, in order to move to a supported OS.

I do not fully understand what you mean by
Via Okular, PDFs print with no problem (just can't get portrait output from a landscape input - and thus the need for Adobe). so perhaps you can explain that in more detail, but as I said, you really should be using a version of Ubuntu that is supported or we will not be much help to you.

mark bower
September 20th, 2016, 11:25 PM
Thanks for response.

Okular prints PDFs just fine, except for a needed manipulation. I receive stock confirm PDFs in landscape from investment firm. I 3-hole punch them for filing in a 3-ring binder. If printed in landscape (as they are received), this means rotating the binder 90 degrees everytime I want to read the statements. If I can print and file them as portraits - just open the binder and read. Adobe would input landscape --> print portrait, worked great. Okular does not have that option. (lengthly, but trust this explains)

I believe I know the problem. It looks like the older print drivers available through CUPS no longer play friendly with Acrobat and 15.04. I can take the statement file to my wife's MAC and it can be printed in landscape. Probably not relevant, but I should mention that I connect to my HP Laserjet 4 printer as computer --> wifi --> router --> print server --> HP Laserjet 4.

I do not plan on returning this thread. I have gone to Okular from KDE for general PDF use, and added an additional HD (Ubuntu 12.04) with acroreader to meet my landscape to portrait needs. This is not a solution to get acroreader to play friendly with 15.04.