PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How do I remove Ubuntu and boot menu

ray42
September 19th, 2016, 09:22 PM
How do I remove Ubuntu and boot menu so that I can boot normally to Windows?

It is on a laptop on its own partition

ajgreeny
September 19th, 2016, 11:28 PM
You will need to restore the Windows bootloader files first or you may not be able to boot back into windows once Ubuntu has been deleted.

Do you have a BIOS or UEFI machine?

Do you have the DVD for your version of Windows? That will be the easiest way to restore the bootloader.

ray42
September 20th, 2016, 07:58 PM
Hello ajgreeny

BIOS, and I might have the DVD. What happens if I do not have the DVD?

ajgreeny
September 20th, 2016, 08:36 PM
Hello ajgreeny

You may be able to get a generic windows BIOS bootloader to work using Boot-repair (in my signature) Advanced option, but it is something I have never needed to do as I do not run Windows of any version any more except XP in a virtual install.

I am not sure if that repair system works on all Windows versions and you may need someone with more knowledge than I have to confirm one way or another but a quick search suggests it can work on all supported Windows versions from Vista to Win-10.

deadflowr
September 20th, 2016, 09:00 PM

I think you can create a repair disk to fix windows booting issues:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17423/windows-7-create-system-repair-disc
Create the repair disk before you nuke Ubuntu.

ray42
September 21st, 2016, 11:17 AM
Do you think this will work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2OaNH8pBZ0

UPDATE: It might be an old link, the software is still current, and IT WORKS! Yah!

ajgreeny
September 21st, 2016, 09:22 PM
Do you think this will work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2OaNH8pBZ0
Absolutely no idea, but in his case he could have managed simply by installing the new version of Linux Mint over the old one by choosing Something Else in the installation precess. Actually, I'm not even sure if it was called Something Else back in 2011 when that video was made, so I suspect the info it shows could be out of date; as I don't use Windows I am not sure.

As I understand it you are not replacing Ubuntu with another version but just want the space back for Windows. I suggest you look in more detail at Boot-repair -Advanced which should be able to solve your Windows bootloader problem.

ray42
September 22nd, 2016, 08:30 AM
Thanks, I haven't actually removed the OS yet. I was making sure I knew how to before hand.

mastablasta
September 22nd, 2016, 09:51 AM
windows repair disk is officially supported (by Microsoft) method.
boot-repair is the linux way of doing it easilly.

ray42
September 22nd, 2016, 11:08 PM
UPDATE: It might be an old link, the software is still current, and IT WORKS! Yah!

thanks everyone for your input

ajgreeny
September 23rd, 2016, 11:59 AM
Great! Please mark as SOLVED from the Thread Tools menu up-top. It is a great help to users searching the forum.