PDA

View Full Version : Are you familiar with the French educational system? (translate some terms)

PartisanEntity
September 19th, 2016, 01:47 PM
Hi there,

I am wondering if any French speakers who have been through the French schooling system could translate some terms for me.

These are from a pre-school (in case it helps) and I am having trouble understanding what is meant. I tried Google Translate but did not understand what is meant from the translation:

- Regroupement
- Binome francais / allemand
- Habillage
- Gouter

Thanks!

cariboo
September 20th, 2016, 03:07 AM
bapoumba, would be the person to answer your question, but right now she is extremely busy, and may not check in until the weekend.

PartisanEntity
September 20th, 2016, 08:39 AM
Thanks very much cariboo, I have messaged her so hopefully once she has time she may respond.

Bucky Ball
September 20th, 2016, 09:07 AM
Which bit's unclear? B needs clarification, but think I'm close. Here's what I got.

In order.

a Grouping
__

b I looked up binome in a regular English dictionary.

Binome -
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 (gcide)
Binomial Bi*no"mi*al, n. [L. bis twice + nomen name: cf. F.
binome, LL. binomius (or fr. bi- + Gr. ? distribution ?). Cf.
Monomial.] (Alg.)
An expression consisting of two terms connected by the sign
plus (+) or minus (-); as, a + b, or 7 - 3.
[1913 Webster]

The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 (gcide)
Binomial Bi*no"mi*al, a.
1. Consisting of two terms; pertaining to binomials; as, a
binomial root.
[1913 Webster]

2. (Nat. Hist.) Having two names; -- used of the system by
which every animal and plant receives two names, the one
indicating the genus, the other the species, to which it
belongs.
[1913 Webster]

Binomial theorem (Alg.), the theorem which expresses the
law of formation of any power of a binomial.
[1913 Webster]

The translation of what you have there would have a meaning along the lines of 'french + german' something that is across both languages or named in both languages I'd say. (Think of it this way. Uni = one. Bi = two. So 'binome' would be 'two nomes', a nome translating as 'name'. So 'two names'. Something like that.)
__

c Dressing
__

d To taste
__

PartisanEntity
September 20th, 2016, 09:31 AM
It's not the translation per se that I need. What do you understand under "Grouping" or "To taste"? :-)

I was hoping that members who may have been through the French educational system could explain what actually takes place under these terms.

mastablasta
September 20th, 2016, 02:02 PM
are these terms or words? is there any context to these?

i will have a guess here usign Google and English:

- Regroupement - it can be a grouping (getting together, school assembly!?) or unification
- Binome francais / allemand - probably meant bilingual?! french and german
- Habillage - dressing - as in to dress up/get dressed ?!
- Gouter - an explanation of the mid-afternoon sweet snack called goûter - probably Mahlzeit !?

PartisanEntity
September 20th, 2016, 07:46 PM
Yes I think you are right mastablasta. The context is that they are from a timetable for pre-school kids in a French kindergarten.

mastablasta
September 22nd, 2016, 03:11 PM
i though so and would have translated them differently if i knew that. so i did it with school in mind. the dressign part - made me think it's probably some preschool thing.

wow a Schedule for kindergarten... here it's just drop them off until 8, then they only have lunches/snacks and nap time planned the rest are activities. whatever they can think of and depending on the weather. and then pickup 15:00 until 16:00 or 17:00. ofcoruse those for parents on work shifts have different schedule.

in any case they really have a lot of fun and learn a lot. so i am quite pleased with mine. the only thing botherin me is that they are so focused into singing and music, but not in tech stuff or phisics and such. my older one is not really into art and dreams of assembling robots. mostly he is extensivelly discussing robots and planets/space with whomever he meets on the street. but younger one Will like it when he can go. he is more into arts and likes music and painting.

coldraven
September 22nd, 2016, 06:33 PM
Many years ago in France I did the vendange. (That's grape picking) A young Irishman arrived and the farmer (who only spoke French) asked his name.
The young lad said "Conner", the farmer said (in French) "I can't call you that, I'll call you Jacques".
Be careful when naming your children :)

shantiq
September 24th, 2016, 09:46 AM
hmmmm French I am indeed and schooled there but lived in UK 40 years now so here goes from memory:

- Regroupement >>> gathering by which i understand reception/start time [Parents dropping off kiddies]
- Binome francais / allemand >>> Hmmm i think here some kids go to French class whilst other go to German class [options]
So if it is pre-school I am guessing you are close to German Border Alsace Lorraine Luxemburg?
- Habillage >> if pre-school >> getting dressed as in getting ready
- Goûter >>> this one is easy 4 o'clock snack/break usually bread and chocolate :]

So if it was a translation job

● Reception
● Options [French/German]
● Tidy-up
● Snack

PartisanEntity
September 29th, 2016, 10:01 PM
hmmmm French I am indeed and schooled there but lived in UK 40 years now so here goes from memory:

- Regroupement >>> gathering by which i understand reception/start time [Parents dropping off kiddies]
- Binome francais / allemand >>> Hmmm i think here some kids go to French class whilst other go to German class [options]
So if it is pre-school I am guessing you are close to German Border Alsace Lorraine Luxemburg?
- Habillage >> if pre-school >> getting dressed as in getting ready
- Goûter >>> this one is easy 4 o'clock snack/break usually bread and chocolate :]

So if it was a translation job

● Reception
● Options [French/German]
● Tidy-up
● Snack

Thanks so much!