PDA

View Full Version : New motherboard compatible with cable of original casing?

KayeNg
September 19th, 2016, 11:43 AM
Hi guys. Don't know if this is the appropriate forum, please transfer to appropriate one if need be.

We have a branded desktop, Lenovo, bought two years ago. It is a slim type desktop. The casing's (female) cables have 12 holes, and it also has a (female) cable that has 14 holes.

Now the motherboard conked out and needs to be replaced. The new motherboard has "connectors" (I don't know the proper term) that have 10 (minus 1) pins.

Obviously the original casing's cables don't match the new motherboard's "connectors". My question is, does it matter? Can I still connect them or do I have to buy a new casing as well?

Thank you.

uRock
September 19th, 2016, 07:00 PM
The motherboard should've came with a manual explaining the cabling requirements.

CharlesA
September 20th, 2016, 12:24 AM
Is the new motherboard also a Lenovo? If not, it's likely they aren't compatible, but check the manual that came with it to be sure.

jeremy31
September 20th, 2016, 12:34 AM
I thought these things were standardized years ago so it is possible that you may need to update your power supply

QIII
September 20th, 2016, 12:39 AM
Standardized cable termination goes out the window sometimes with the SFF machines. To make things fit, PSUs sometimes have non-standard cabling, for instance.

With standardization goes compatibility.

CharlesA
September 20th, 2016, 12:46 AM
Standardized cable termination goes out the window sometimes with the SFF machines. To make things fit, PSUs sometimes have non-standard cabling, for instance.

With standardization goes compatibility.

What he said.

I have a feeling the OP is talking about the front panel stuff, but it's hard to be sure.

1fallen
September 20th, 2016, 12:59 AM
I have a feeling the OP is talking about the front panel stuff, but it's hard to be sure.
+1 That usually trips most of us up...figuring where they all go back..:D
But as uRock said the manual solves all.
(Map?? I don't need directions I'm a man I can figure these things out...LOL)

KayeNg
September 20th, 2016, 03:10 PM
Thanks guys. CharlesA, if by front panel stuff you mean the USB port cables, power and reset cables, then yes I think that's what my problem is. The said cables don't match the connectors on the mother board--12 holes against 10 pins. And the mother board is MSI, not Lenovo. Does Lenovo manufacture mother boards? Anyway, again, the mobo is MSI. Is a new casing in order?

poorguy
September 20th, 2016, 04:03 PM
Hey KayeNg,

You can buy cable splitters that you can plug excising connectors into where the ends are separated into single individual connectors similar to the example below.

You might try a local computer store or check Newegg / Tiger Direct / Ebay etc.

http://www.superbiiz.com/newg/C/A/-/CA-CBL0084/CA-CBL0084.JPG

KayeNg
September 21st, 2016, 04:44 AM
Thanks a lot poorguy! I'll see if local stores sell them.

KayeNg
September 21st, 2016, 12:09 PM
By the way, the (broken) original motherboard has two 'sockets' for the four-pin connector, as shown below
and they were both used--one socket was plugged by a four-pin connector that's coming from the power supply, the other one from the dvd writer (or hard drive).

However, the new motherboard that's supposed to replace the original only has one 4-pin socket. Does this mean I have to return the motherboard and replace it with one that has two 4-pin sockets? Are there even mobos like that?

poorguy
September 21st, 2016, 03:59 PM
Hey KayeNg,

What would really help is if you posted exactly what brand and model number of motherboard you are wanting to use.

KayeNg
September 21st, 2016, 04:28 PM
Hello poorguy, the new mother board is MSI brand, H81M-P33

poorguy
September 21st, 2016, 10:40 PM
Hey KayeNg,

The one 4 pin molex connector supplies power for the processor.
Some power supplies have what is known as a 20 pin + 4 pin which all plugs into the main board power supply however without looking at the original motherboard it is hard to say.

Here is a link that may help you to understand what you have and need to do.

http://www.buildcomputers.net/power-supply-connectors.html

Also with your new motherboard you should have an installation manual that should explain what power supply connections are needed and where they should plug into.
Make sure you understand what connectors plug in where and that you are using the right connector before powering anything up and go by the manual that came with your new motherboard.

Hope this will help you.

KayeNg
September 22nd, 2016, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the link poorguy, I've read it and learned a few things, but I still don't know why the original mother board used two atx 12V power connectors in which one is plugged by a power supply cable, and the other is plugged by hard drive or optical drive cable. This is the first time I've encountered two atx 12V power connector in a mother board. So now I'm wondering if it's OK not to use the other connector.
The new mother board's manual is useless.

poorguy
September 22nd, 2016, 12:19 PM
Hey KayeNg,

It's hard to say what the old motherboard requirements were or why and no longer matters.
Just make sure you satisfy the power requirements of the new motherboard.

As far as the manual the one that I looked at shows what the connectors are used for and therefore provides some useful info IMO.

As long as the new motherboard fits the case and you can connect the necessary connections then that is all that you need to concern yourself with.
Transfer all necessary components and clean and apply new thermal compound to the processor then put it all together and double check your work and power it up.
The goal here is to get the desktop up and running.

Once you see it post then install Linux and life should be good again. =d>

KayeNg
September 26th, 2016, 01:49 PM
Thanks poorguy. I can't find any cable splitters and I also have to deal with the power supply problem, so I just decided to replace the casing as well as the power supply. So far so good.

poorguy
September 26th, 2016, 02:47 PM
As long as the power supply requirements are met and the necessary connectors plug into the proper sockets that is what matters on the new motherboard.
You will probably half to order the splitter from a supplier online.
Again double check all work before powering up.