PDA

View Full Version : NEW USING UBUNTU .. but my overheating problem is OVER

artilites
September 19th, 2016, 01:24 AM
i used to have a minimal heat of 78°c when i used windows ..but now with ubuntu it's 72° Max ....
my laptop didn't turn off from overheating since i started using UBUNTU ... WAY TO GO :KS:KS:KS
although there is something i didn't like in it .... the writing features in libreoffice and all writing software are sooooooooo poor ... i had to install windows along ubuntu just to be able to use office when i need to .. since wine isn't doing great job (keeps crushing) ..:confused:

wildmanne39
September 19th, 2016, 01:27 AM
Please use the default font color and properties unless you need to highlight or draw attention to a part of your post, but they are not intended to be used for an entire post.

artilites
September 19th, 2016, 02:43 AM
alright, mr admin ... sorry, kind of new at this :P

DuckHook
September 19th, 2016, 03:07 AM
Thread moved to The Cafe as the more appropriate forum.

Not a support request.

mastablasta
September 19th, 2016, 09:41 AM
i used to have a minimal heat of 78°c when i used windows ..but now with ubuntu it's 72° Max ....
my laptop didn't turn off from overheating since i started using UBUNTU ... WAY TO GO :KS:KS:KS

might be good to clean it a bit. even 72C is hot.

although there is something i didn't like in it .... the writing features in libreoffice and all writing software are sooooooooo poor ...

Not sure what writing features you need. but the usual ones are all there. we wrote and set up an e-book with over 200 pages on LO writer. it was all fine and as it should be. as i understand LO Writer has almost all the features that MS Word has. some are there but done in a different way or you can use an alternative program to have them (e.g. for writing algorythms etc.).

i had to install windows along ubuntu just to be able to use office when i need to .. since wine isn't doing great job (keeps crushing) ..:confused:

2010 and 2007 work well in wine. the only issue was powerpoint which occasionally does carsh and some charts might cause a crash. but otherwise no issues.

you can also check WPS Office if it maybe has the features you need.

Bucky Ball
September 19th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Welcome. Completed a bachelor's degree, honours, and a master's in a few months with LO and haven't noticed anything missing. Have been using it all up for years and Open Office before that, before I even started using Linux (OO is pretty much the same as LO and LO is a fork of it).

What exactly is missing for you? Are those things missing, or do you actually mean you haven't worked out how to do in LO what you do in Office? Perhaps time for a learning curve, which is to be expected when making the Linux leap. Whatever the case, curious to know because maybe one of us know where they are hiding ...

'sooooooo poor' is definitely not the first thing that springs to mind when I think of LO. Just the opposite, actually. :)

There is lots of help info for Libreoffice online. Why not try a search for '<what's missing> libreoffice', replacing <what's missing> with your query. For instance:

indent paragraph libreoffice

... in a search engine.

Glad everything else is working for you, though. I'd forget Wine to run Office anyway. Personally, if you really must and your hardware allows it, I'd install Virtualbox and install Windows as a virtual machine. Install Office. Done.

* And as suggested, give the machine a bit of a clean out with a can of compressed air, perhaps (DON'T use a vaccuum cleaner!). 72C is a bit high.

izznogooood
September 20th, 2016, 09:43 PM
Personally, if you really must and your hardware allows it, I'd install Virtualbox and install Windows as a virtual machine. Install Office. Done.

* And as suggested, give the machine a bit of a clean out with a can of compressed air, perhaps (DON'T use a vaccuum cleaner!). 72C is a bit high.

Yepp!

The main issue with Libeoffice is opening some documents written in Word. They dont always look the same and theres also the proprietary MS fonts.

Bucky Ball
September 21st, 2016, 05:44 AM
... theres also the proprietary MS fonts.

They're easy enough to install, though. The formatting document formatting is another matter. Make it easier if everyone was using .odt files. Just this year I can finally send my supervisors at uni .odt documents and they can read them fine on their Win boxes! Joy. Finally. I've spent eight and a half years making .doc copies of everything they need. :)

Simple things can make life so much easier.

mastablasta
September 22nd, 2016, 07:15 AM
They're easy enough to install, though. The formatting document formatting is another matter. Make it easier if everyone was using .odt files. Just this year I can finally send my supervisors at uni .odt documents and they can read them fine on their Win boxes! Joy. Finally. I've spent eight and a half years making .doc copies of everything they need. :)

first, good luck with the thesis defence.

i had a slightly different experience. while sending it in .odt would probably work ok (they had 2013 or 2016 MS office), another matter was the official part at their offices. they suddenly requested files to be in .doc, which is curious. the format is 13 or 14 years old by now (but probably more since i think it is the same as in 98 version).

as i had some issues writing in old word 2003 and moving data from SPSS to excel and since i work with 2013 at my work laptop, i decided just this year to "update" to 2010. but then suddenly when i was about to submit it said i needed to submit in .doc format. ](*,) i already had a sumbission CD made with .docx. but luckilly they took it. they converted it to pdf (WTF?!) and published it online.

anyway the positive side was that their website has submitting forms (yes, still in paper for some things) in MS word .docx format, .odt format and .pdf format. so at least they officially know about .odt. :-) i also saw government sites with .odt forms (for those that do not have "online government" installed and working). and again though that is a plus, most pages chagned to new signing app which doesn't have a linux version ("yet"). a year ago all sites worked just fine in linux if you used Chrome, Opera or Firefox (best was with firefox).

Bucky Ball
September 22nd, 2016, 07:22 AM
All final copies of everything are submitted in PDF by me. At this stage of my academic career, documents that can be edited are only required by supervisors in something they can add comments to and email back only to me, not for officialdom submission or official grading (that comes when I submit a 40,000 word bound analogue hard-copy and duplicate digital version in PDF format). Everything digital sent for grading is in PDF for online publishing and cataloguing.

But yes, mastablasta, this file format rubbish is ongoing and has been for years. I'm lucky to be in the position where it no longer effects me, at least for the academic stuff. :)

Skaperen
September 22nd, 2016, 07:32 AM

so that makes Ubuntu cooooool ...

(sorry, just had to say it)

signature candidate: not using widows for over 20 years

Bucky Ball
September 22nd, 2016, 07:35 AM
signature candidate: not using widows for over 20 years

That could be a good or bad thing, depending on what you were using those widows for ... :-k ;)

yetimon_64
September 22nd, 2016, 04:18 PM
That could be a good or bad thing, depending on what you were using those widows for ... :-k ;)

:lol: ... good pick Bucky Ball, took me a couple of reads to finally see that ...:)

artilites
September 23rd, 2016, 12:22 AM
excuse me, guys, for LO ... it works Great and has "rich features" when you write english documents ... but for other languages like japanese or arabic ... "poor" is the right word for it ... the interline margins text orientation ... the list goes on ... it's a good operating system though .. i wish it was the perfect one =)

artilites
September 23rd, 2016, 12:23 AM
i guess it does make ubuntu cool ;)

Skaperen
September 23rd, 2016, 06:56 AM

i guess i will need to add an 'n' to use it for my signature.

Bucky Ball
September 23rd, 2016, 07:09 AM
i guess i will need to add an 'n' to use it for my signature.

Unless you want to raise some eyebrows and some questions. :)