PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Question about upgrading to Ubuntu 16.10

1j4fj67
September 18th, 2016, 08:59 PM
I'm currently running Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS. When Ubuntu 16.10 is released next month, why would I want to install it if support/security updates are only provided for 9 (?) months? And those of you who regularly install the X.10 releases, what do you do after the 9 months are up? I'm interested in the new features that 16.10 will hopefully provide. It's easy for me to install new versions when they are available. I'm just not sure why 16.10 wouldn't be supported for the full year until 17.10 is released. Thanks for your input.​

howefield
September 18th, 2016, 09:10 PM
I'm just not sure why 16.10 wouldn't be supported for the full year until 17.10 is released. Thanks for your input.

Because 17.04 will be released before then. :) You won't be left unsupported in so far as using an interim release pretty much dictates that you will upgrade at each release.

I tend to take the view that newer bugs are better than older bugs, so usually upgrade as each release is out the door.

1j4fj67
September 18th, 2016, 10:36 PM
Thank you Howefield. Much appreciated. I'll look forward to 16.10 next month. And I like your way of thinking concerning "newer bugs."

howefield
September 19th, 2016, 07:07 AM
You're welcome, and of course if you know how to and you seem clued up, it is easy enough to have a couple of partitions (or more) and running both LTS and interim releases gives you a fall back. Although there are a multitude of ways to mitigate issues.