PDA

View Full Version : Desktop icons not showing up

stuart_jones2
September 14th, 2016, 09:09 PM
Last night my computer was running fine, this morning however after logging in just the screen saver appears, no side or top bars.
I found this thread
https://askubuntu.com/questions/17381/unity-doesnt-load-no-launcher-no-dash-appears#76951

and used the settings manager to enable Unity and also the post marked 130, but nothing
I'm running 16.04 LTS on a Packard bell Desktop
Many thanks in advance for any help

rmgak2
September 15th, 2016, 10:52 PM
I am having problems with launcher icons and start menu not showing up on my account with I logo in with Ubuntu 16.04 I can login to my guest account and launcher icons and start menu show up. Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

steve3332
September 17th, 2016, 01:46 PM
A few days ago there was a couple of threads regarding the same problem and the solution seemed to be to simply run Bleachbit and let it clear out the system cache:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2337115&page=4

After doing so my system has been fine with no lingering effects though I have no idea what happened to cause the problem.

stuart_jones2
September 17th, 2016, 07:37 PM
Thanks for your reply steve3332,
I use Bleachbit quite regularly and think I had used it a few times in the days leading up to this problem.
My question though is how do I use it when the icons do not show up, I can open a terminal through right click on the desktop, is there a command I need to use?
Sorry I'm still very new to Ubuntu

steve3332
September 18th, 2016, 02:00 PM
On the icon-less desktop I right clicked with the mouse, opened a terminal window and typed "bleachbit" minus the quotations. Made the appropriate selections and let 'er rip.

stuart_jones2
September 18th, 2016, 02:31 PM
Thanks steve 3332,
ticked all the box's marked cache and ran bleachbit, had to hard shut down, but now life is good again.
Thanks for your time and help

rmgak2
September 20th, 2016, 04:59 AM
Running Bleachbit worked for me for me. I had to launch Firefox (gksudo firefox) from the terminal command line since I could not use the launcher icons . Download the software using Firefox and install the software. I cleaned out the system file and it work! Thank you.