PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Iced Tea Freezes notebook with 16.04

luke24592
September 12th, 2016, 04:35 PM
upgraded from 14.04 to 16.04 on HP-15 notebook. I use this primarily to monitor dlink security cameras on my LAN. One camera requires Java to show video and I always used Iced Tea on 14.04. Since upgrading to 16.04 the entire PC will freeze up within a few minutes of activating Java on this camera. All other cameras work fine until I activate Java on this one. Freeze up locks mouse and keyboard. Only option is to power off and back on. Thanks for looking.
Luke

halogen2
September 12th, 2016, 05:48 PM
Few things to check:

1) Are you using the same Java version as you were on 14.04?
2) Is the system really locked up or just the graphics? Can you Ctrl-Alt-F1 (or through Ctrl-Alt-F6) to get to a console login?
3) Have you tried running nothing else and no other cameras, just this one specific camera?

(It'd be smart to backup your system before testing.)

luke24592
September 12th, 2016, 06:39 PM
Thanks halogen2
I'm sorry but I don't know exactly what version I was using before the upgrade. If it helps, I always did all the software upgrades when prompted by the system. I did the upgrade on 9/10/2016. The version of Iced Tea I have now is 1.6.2-3ubuntu1. The system locks up when there is only one Firefox window open with this camera in it or several windows open with other cameras. As soon as I click the java button in the window for this camera, the system freezes in a few moments. The sound stops and the picture freezes. I tried Ctrl-Alt-F1 and Ctrl-Alt-F6 while it was locked up and nothing happened with either.

halogen2
September 12th, 2016, 06:51 PM
The version of Iced Tea I have now is 1.6.2-3ubuntu1.
That would be Java 8, which unfortunately looks like the only version for 16.04 from the repositories. Previous versions of Ubuntu offered the choices of Java 6 and Java 7 in the repositories.

Can you go back to 14.04, or (if your netbook has sufficient hardware) run this camera in a virtual machine running 14.04? :-k

I don't think I have any further ideas on this, sorry. Someone else here might though?