PDA

View Full Version : Help installing this driver

DrRus
September 10th, 2016, 11:44 PM
Hi guys,

i'm trying to install an USB-to-Serial driver located here: https://www.tripplite.com/support/U209000R

The file comes with 3 Linux folders, each for a RedHat version. regardless of which one I run I always get error. According to the Readme.txt file, all I have to do is run
make inst, but when I do - this is what I get:

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4/include -I/usr/src/linux-2.4/drivers/usb/serial -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Wno-unused -DMODULE -c pl2303.c
pl2303.c:33:26: fatal error: linux/config.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
Makefile:45: recipe for target 'pl2303.o' failed
make: *** [pl2303.o] Error 1

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

yancek
September 11th, 2016, 01:19 AM
Did you look in the extracted folders and see that this software is for use with three VERY old versions of Red Hat Linux? The software is dated/written in 2002.

Also the command would be: make install maybe that was a typo? I wouldn't hold out much hope for it working on a current Ubuntu or any current Linux but maybe someone else will have some ideas.

DrRus
September 11th, 2016, 10:03 PM
yancek - "make install" doesn't work, it gives me the following:

make: *** No rule to make target 'install'. Stop.

I realize the drivers are old, but are the only ones available. I had no problem installing the old Windows 2000 drivers on a Win 10 machine :P

Very frustrating...

wildmanne39
September 11th, 2016, 10:14 PM
This is not windows it is way to old to work on a modern linux machine.

The driver would have to be completely rewritten for a new ubuntu version to be able to work.