PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Triple boot grub2 fixed but still some issues?

usmamyer
September 9th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Hello all. I've been dual booting for a long time and have never had any issues using Windows 7 and Ubuntu or Kali in the past as dual is very easy. I recently decided to set up my laptop to triple boot Windows 10, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, and Kali Linux 2016.2 64-bit on a single drive in my laptop. I decided to use this method because i prefer it over a virtual machine and can easily separate my work areas from my play ones.

I did experience some slight issues during installation and thought I had everything sorted, but there are some slight discrepancies in boot and performance that has me thinking I may have done something improperly and have not been able to find just the right answer anywhere yet. This is what I did.

System Specifications
Model: Acer Aspire E 15 (E5-571-563B)
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz × 4
Memory: 6gb
Graphics: Intel Haswell Mobile
Disk: 1tb

fdisk -l output:

http://i.imgur.com/34R9lel.jpg

This pc originally came with windows 8 which i found generally useless so I formatted and installed Kali 2.0 by itself to use as a penetration tester until deciding to make it triple boot. All installations were conducted from a USB drive with each OS on them individually using Rufus 2,1, GPT UEFI, Fat32, and official ISO's for each.

Installation Process and issues:
1. Delete all partitions and format full disk
2. Installed Windows 10 Enterprise without a hitch.
3. Installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS without a problem.
4. Changed BIOS boot order to put ubuntu grub2 before Windows boot manager
5. Had issues getting Kali Linux 2016.2 to boot in UEFI after trying multiple suggestions to get it to do so, so...
6. Used Ubuntu installation's Startup Disk Creator and the Kali Linux 2016.2 ISO to create Kali installation drive. This is the only way I was able to get the Kali image to actually boot.
7. Kali 2016.2 seemed to install just like normal including saying it updated grub info and everything, used the option home folder and system on one partition recommended for new users.
8. Upon reboot I was able to boot from Win10 and Ubuntu, but Kali was not listed, so I booted into Ubuntu again and employed the Boot-repair program using recommended settings.
9. Rebooted and was now able to see my Kali installation on the list as well as a couple unknown listings like windows boot.efi type entries which simply reboot to the grub2 again but every OS does boot.
10. Booted into Windows and updated all drivers and windows system
11. Booted into Ubuntu and updated/upgraded dist/packages/drivers
12. Booted into Kali and updated/upgraded dist/packages/drivers

I noticed it seems to take a little longer to boot Ubuntu than I believe it should but it does not give me any errors. everything seems to operate properly but seems just a little slower than expected for sure, and I noticed that regardless of what OS I am running, whenever I open a new Firefox window, they all use the home page of "data:text/plain,browser.startup.homepage=file:///usr/share/kali-defaults/web/homepage.html" and the page below reads "browser.startup.homepage=file:///usr/share/kali-defaults/web/homepage.html" without quotes.

This makes me believe maybe my partitioning is out of order somehow or I missed/damaged a setting with boot repair in the Ubuntu environment (i did not use boot-repair from a live cd/usb environment, I booted into the Ubuntu already installed on my disk to run it.) I will generate a bootchart image soon and provide it here as well if that would help, but i figured i have to ask someone who knows more about this than me as I have tried every suggestion I was able to find so far and have yet to find an explanation as to why things are the way they are. Please let me know if there is anything else I left out or need to try to get this worked out.

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

oldfred
September 9th, 2016, 04:06 PM
I do not know Boot chart.
Post this for Newer systems with systemd:
systemd-analyze blame

And post link to summary report from Boot-Repair to see details of your configuration.

usmamyer
September 9th, 2016, 09:41 PM
I do not know Boot chart.
Post this for Newer systems with systemd:
systemd-analyze blame

And post link to summary report from Boot-Repair to see details of your configuration.

sorry had a lot to do today but im back, heres the output:

dan@dan-Aspire-E5-571:~$ systemd-analyze blame
5.064s dev-sda5.device
5.003s apparmor.service
3.867s snapd.firstboot.service
3.605s lightdm.service
3.479s grub-common.service
3.290s ModemManager.service
3.131s systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-2849\x2dA6FF.service
2.992s NetworkManager.service
2.684s ondemand.service
2.607s accounts-daemon.service
2.037s speech-dispatcher.service
2.012s systemd-logind.service
1.956s apt-daily.service
1.941s alsa-restore.service
1.935s systemd-user-sessions.service
1.934s pppd-dns.service
1.934s gpu-manager.service
1.592s snapd.refresh.service
1.583s bluetooth.service
1.583s thermald.service
1.583s iio-sensor-proxy.service
1.504s irqbalance.service
1.332s systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
1.182s polkitd.service
1.070s plymouth-start.service
1.063s colord.service
994ms apport.service
951ms plymouth-quit-wait.service
941ms keyboard-setup.service
906ms systemd-modules-load.service
846ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service
718ms upower.service
717ms console-setup.service
631ms systemd-journald.service
629ms systemd-hostnamed.service
541ms dev-hugepages.mount
540ms dev-mqueue.mount
537ms systemd-timesyncd.service
468ms rsyslog.service
465ms wpa_supplicant.service
452ms systemd-backlight@backlight:intel_backlight.service
447ms systemd-udevd.service
446ms udisks2.service
416ms user@1000.service
352ms sys-kernel-debug.mount
343ms dev-sda6.swap
278ms systemd-update-utmp.service
235ms avahi-daemon.service
227ms boot-efi.mount
225ms dns-clean.service
203ms systemd-sysctl.service
190ms ufw.service
164ms systemd-udev-trigger.service
147ms systemd-localed.service
124ms networking.service
124ms setvtrgb.service
122ms systemd-rfkill.service
110ms systemd-journal-flush.service
95ms systemd-random-seed.service
92ms resolvconf.service
78ms rtkit-daemon.service
66ms kmod-static-nodes.service
58ms systemd-remount-fs.service
45ms rc-local.service
41ms systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service
26ms proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.mount
15ms snapd.socket
11ms plymouth-read-write.service
5ms snapd.boot-ok.service
4ms ureadahead-stop.service
3ms systemd-update-utmp-runlevel.service
2ms sys-fs-fuse-connections.mount
lines 50-72/72 (END)

usmamyer
September 9th, 2016, 09:53 PM
and the boot-report: http://paste2.org/63b5Cxwn

I'm pretty green to a bit of this but sda3 appears suspect to me?
I'm looking through the thread you posted as well, thanks for helping out.

oldfred
September 9th, 2016, 09:58 PM
What is sda5?

It looks like that might be an issue.

#From liveDVD/Flash so everything is unmounted,swap off if necessary, change example shown with partition sdb1 to your partition(s)
#e2fsck is used to check the ext2/ext3/ext4 family of file systems. -p trys fixes where response not required
sudo e2fsck -C0 -p -f -v /dev/sdb1
#if errors: -y auto answers yes for fixes needing response, also see man e2fsck
sudo e2fsck -f -y -v /dev/sdb1

usmamyer
September 10th, 2016, 02:55 AM
Man, I don't know why it never occurred to me to check the disk this way in the first place... but everything runs slicker than greased snot on a slip n slide now. :) e2fsck discovered a couple errors with my sda5 and fixed them up quickly. Afterwards I tested kali with it and Windows with sfc in safe mode to be sure there were no other problems, which there were not. I bookmarked the link to the other thread as well for future reference so I can handle my issues in the future.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to check everything out for me Fred, I definitely appreciate it.