PDA

View Full Version : 14.04 upgrade questions

doug23
September 8th, 2016, 08:57 AM
I am using ubuntu 14.04 -

LSB Version: core-2.0-amd64:core-2.0-noarch:core-3.0-amd64:core-3.0-noarch:core-3.1-amd64:core-3.1-noarch:core-3.2-amd64:core-3.2-noarch:core-4.0-amd64:core-4.0-noarch:core-4.1-amd64:core-4.1-noarch
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS
Release: 14.04
Codename: trusty

And now getting update message saying that the OS is no longer being updated. My question is from this page -

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

I refer to this -

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS - Trusty Tahr
The 14.04.2 and newer point releases will ship with an updated kernel and X stack by default. If you have installed with older media you can use the following to install the newer HWE kernel derived from 16.04 (Xenial):

Desktop
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-xenial xserver-xorg-core-lts-xenial xserver-xorg-lts-xenial xserver-xorg-video-all-lts-xenial xserver-xorg-input-all-lts-xenial libwayland-egl1-mesa-lts-xenial

Multiarch Desktop
If you run a multiarch desktop (for example, i386 and amd64 on amd64, for gaming or Wine), you may find you need a slightly more involved command, like this:
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-xenial xserver-xorg-core-lts-xenial xserver-xorg-lts-xenial xserver-xorg-video-all-lts-xenial xserver-xorg-input-all-lts-xenial libwayland-egl1-mesa-lts-xenial libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-xenial libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-xenial:i386 libglapi-mesa-lts-xenial:i386

My question is does this apply to me? If this does apply to me If not what is my upgrade path?

Also it may be the way I have my upgrades setup but I am only getting the warning about this and no other updates unless I manually run apt-get update/upgrade.

In doing that I get the package upgrades but this helback message -

The following packages have been kept back:
linux-generic-lts-vivid linux-headers-generic-lts-vivid
linux-image-generic-lts-vivid

Any guidance of this would be appreciated.

ubfan1
September 8th, 2016, 04:18 PM
You appear to have an old hardware enablement stack, vivid, which is beyond it's 9 months of support. Maybe you can install the xenial HES, then delete the vivid HES.

grahammechanical
September 8th, 2016, 04:45 PM
This is what the 14.04.5 release notes say.

In an effort to support a wider variety of hardware on an existing LTS release, the 14.04.5 point release will ship with an updated kernel and X stack by default. This newer hardware enablement stack will be comprised of the kernel and X stack from the Xenial 16.04 release.

Anyone wishing to opt into the hardware enablement stack for Trusty may do so by running following command which will install the linux-generic-lts-xenial and xserver-xorg-lts-xenial packages:

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-xenial xserver-xorg-core-lts-xenial xserver-xorg-lts-xenial xserver-xorg-video-all-lts-xenial xserver-xorg-input-all-lts-xenial libwayland-egl1-mesa-lts-xenial

If you are on an amd64 system that boots with UEFI, you will also need the matching signed kernel:

sudo apt-get install linux-signed-generic-lts-xenial

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseNotes

The system has upgraded the desktop to 14.04.5 by using the normnal update/upgrade system

Description: Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS

but going to a later hardware enablement stack is not done automatically. We need to run those commands.

Regards.

doug23
September 9th, 2016, 06:08 AM
OK thanks for the info. I question what the downside to doing this might be? Like any big update like this there are risks. I have a lot of third party SW installed and many things could break. I really guess there is no good answer to this and I will just have to decide if it is worth the risk. Certainly a complete backup would be advisable.

Also here is more output I don't quite understand....

hwe-support-status --verbose

WARNING: Security updates for your current Hardware Enablement Stack
ended on 2016-08-04:
* http://wiki.ubuntu.com/1404_HWE_EOL

There is a graphics stack installed on this system. An upgrade to a
configuration supported for the full lifetime of the LTS will become
available on 2016-07-21 and can be installed by running 'update-manager'
in the Dash.

I have the mate desktop installed in addition to dash. So exactly how should this update be done?

OK I went into the software updater and it gave me the end of life message. I hit install then got this message -

Package Dependencies cannot be resolved
This error could be caused by required additional software
packages which are missing or not installable. Furthermore
there could be a conflict between software packages which
are not allowed to be installed at this time.

Talk about telling you something without telling you something.... so what does this mean and where do I go from here?????/

ubfan1
September 9th, 2016, 03:56 PM
Did you turn off all software sources (ppas) not part of the standard Ubuntu installation before the upgrade? Do that, then run the upgrade, then turn them back on.

kansasnoob
September 9th, 2016, 06:54 PM
I can hardly type because I have one arm in a sling, but apparently those responding didn't read this in your OP:

In doing that I get the package upgrades but this helback message -

The following packages have been kept back:

We need to find out why those packages are being held! Maybe see if /boot is getting full, so post the output of:

df -H

And:

df -H /boot

If /boot is not getting full it would probably help to see the output of:

sudo apt-get install linux-generic-lts-vivid -s

Until we get to the bottom of what's causing "held packages" you won't be able to install any updates.

brian-murray
September 13th, 2016, 09:10 PM
update-manager provides the hwe-support-status tool and there were some changes to it recently to deal with issues calculating package installations. What version of update-manager do you have installed? You can check via apt-cache policy update-manager. If you don't have 0.196.21 please install that and then try 'sudo apt-get install $(hwe-support-status --show-replacements)'.

doug23
September 22nd, 2016, 06:32 AM
I can hardly type because I have one arm in a sling, but apparently those responding didn't read this in your OP:

We need to find out why those packages are being held! Maybe see if /boot is getting full, so post the output of:

df -H

And:

df -H /boot

If /boot is not getting full it would probably help to see the output of:

Until we get to the bottom of what's causing "held packages" you won't be able to install any updates.

df -H /boot
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda2 976G 188G 739G 21% /

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
linux-headers-3.19.0-69 linux-headers-3.19.0-69-generic
linux-headers-generic-lts-vivid linux-image-3.19.0-69-generic
linux-image-extra-3.19.0-69-generic linux-image-generic-lts-vivid
Suggested packages:
fdutils linux-lts-vivid-tools
The following NEW packages will be installed:
linux-headers-3.19.0-69 linux-headers-3.19.0-69-generic
linux-image-3.19.0-69-generic linux-image-extra-3.19.0-69-generic
The following packages will be upgraded:
3 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Inst linux-image-3.19.0-69-generic (3.19.0-69.77~14.04.1 Ubuntu:14.04/trusty-updates [amd64])
Inst linux-image-extra-3.19.0-69-generic (3.19.0-69.77~14.04.1 Ubuntu:14.04/trusty-updates [amd64])
Inst linux-generic-lts-vivid [3.19.0.66.48] (3.19.0.69.51 Ubuntu:14.04/trusty-updates [amd64]) []
Inst linux-image-generic-lts-vivid [3.19.0.66.48] (3.19.0.69.51 Ubuntu:14.04/trusty-updates [amd64]) []
Inst linux-headers-3.19.0-69 (3.19.0-69.77~14.04.1 Ubuntu:14.04/trusty-updates [all]) []
Inst linux-headers-3.19.0-69-generic (3.19.0-69.77~14.04.1 Ubuntu:14.04/trusty-updates [amd64]) []
Inst linux-headers-generic-lts-vivid [3.19.0.66.48] (3.19.0.69.51 Ubuntu:14.04/trusty-updates [amd64])
Conf linux-image-3.19.0-69-generic (3.19.0-69.77~14.04.1 Ubuntu:14.04/trusty-updates [amd64])
Conf linux-image-extra-3.19.0-69-generic (3.19.0-69.77~14.04.1 Ubuntu:14.04/trusty-updates [amd64])
Conf linux-image-generic-lts-vivid (3.19.0.69.51 Ubuntu:14.04/trusty-updates [amd64])
Conf linux-headers-3.19.0-69 (3.19.0-69.77~14.04.1 Ubuntu:14.04/trusty-updates [all])
Conf linux-headers-3.19.0-69-generic (3.19.0-69.77~14.04.1 Ubuntu:14.04/trusty-updates [amd64])
Conf linux-headers-generic-lts-vivid (3.19.0.69.51 Ubuntu:14.04/trusty-updates [amd64])
Conf linux-generic-lts-vivid (3.19.0.69.51 Ubuntu:14.04/trusty-updates [amd64])

update-manager provides the hwe-support-status tool and there were some changes to it recently to deal with issues calculating package installations. What version of update-manager do you have installed? You can check via apt-cache policy update-manager. If you don't have 0.196.21 please install that and then try 'sudo apt-get install $(hwe-support-status --show-replacements)'.

Do I need to remove all ppa's? If so what is the best way to do it? I am using mate installed after unity. Here is a list I have:

ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d
danielrichter2007-grub-customizer-trusty.list me-tv-development-ppa-trusty.list
danielrichter2007-grub-customizer-trusty.list.save me-tv-development-ppa-trusty.list.save
dansmith-chirp-snapshots-trusty.list osmoma-audio-recorder-trusty.list
dansmith-chirp-snapshots-trusty.list.save osmoma-audio-recorder-trusty.list.save
dj5qv-mhuxd-0_5-trusty.list shutter-ppa-trusty.list
dj5qv-mhuxd-0_5-trusty.list.save shutter-ppa-trusty.list.save
fixnix-indicator-systemtray-unity-trusty.list synapse-core-testing-trusty.list
fixnix-indicator-systemtray-unity-trusty.list.save synapse-core-testing-trusty.list.save
fossfreedom-rhythmbox-plugins-trusty.list ubuntuhandbook1-audacity-trusty.list
fossfreedom-rhythmbox-plugins-trusty.list.save ubuntuhandbook1-audacity-trusty.list.save
hanipouspilot-rtlwifi-trusty.list ubuntuhandbook1-ppa-trusty.list
hanipouspilot-rtlwifi-trusty.list.save ubuntuhandbook1-ppa-trusty.list.save
js-reynaud-kicad-4-trusty.list ubuntu-mate-dev-ppa-trusty.list
js-reynaud-kicad-4-trusty.list.save ubuntu-mate-dev-ppa-trusty.list.save
kamalmostafa-fldigi-trusty.list ubuntu-mate-dev-trusty-mate-trusty.list
kamalmostafa-fldigi-trusty.list.save ubuntu-mate-dev-trusty-mate-trusty.list.save
ki7mt-wsjtx-next-trusty.list ubuntu-wine-ppa-trusty.list
ki7mt-wsjtx-next-trusty.list.save ubuntu-wine-ppa-trusty.list.save

ubfan1
September 23rd, 2016, 12:44 AM
You could probably just rename the /etc/apt/sources.list.d directory to something like /etc/apt/hold to make them invisible. Then check the /etc/apt/sources.list file and comment out (add a #) any other non-standard ppas you find there. Then run sudo apt-get update and then try the upgrade.