PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Launchpad or GitHub?

fallenshadow
September 3rd, 2016, 08:18 PM
I have only ever had projects on Launchpad. Just wondering for Open Source is GitHub a much better choice? It seems much more popular and modern than Launchpad. Any feedback here is most welcome.

Rocket2DMn
September 4th, 2016, 12:03 AM
I find that GitHub provides a very nice UI. I've never used git on LP, only bazaar, the latter of which is (or least historically was) used by Ubuntu folks I think. Frankly though, you should use whatever is most convenient for you and any collaborators you work with. If you're already using git, you can actually keep copies of your repositories both on LP and GitHub if you wanted.

fallenshadow
September 5th, 2016, 03:34 PM
Thanks! I think after seeing all the projects using GitHub that would be a good choice. So do I commit everything to GitHub and then pick a mirror option on Launchpad? How does this whole mirror feature work? Also what Git client would you recommend? I prefer something with a good UI rather than command line.

Rocket2DMn
September 6th, 2016, 05:26 PM
Again, I haven't used git on LP. The documentation (https://help.launchpad.net/Code/Git) (may be outdated) seems to indicate that mirroring isn't supported yet. Or perhaps maybe not fully supported. I suspect this means you would need to manually push commits to LP just like you would for your primary repository.

I do my git work at the terminal. Any integration with a GUI component, like the file browser, depends on your desktop environment. Standard Ubuntu installations use nautilus as the file browser. There is plugin that uses rabbitvcs called rabbitvcs-nautilus (apt://rabbitvcs-nautilus), but I've never used it.

fallenshadow
September 14th, 2016, 02:55 PM
Thanks, I'm gonna fire ahead with GitHub anyway. I've 97 builds of code to drop. Let the code dumping commence! :D
https://github.com/PhotoFiltre-LX/photofiltrelx

RabbitVCS looks really nice. I'm gonna give it a shot tonight, although I wish Git Desktop was also available for Linux. =/