PDA

View Full Version : Desktop that auto hides the system taskbar

cyril-auburtin
September 3rd, 2016, 12:02 PM
Coming from windows, and having a 15"4 screen, I'd like to optimize this space on linux too. On Ubuntu it's like a double pain, there are both a left bar and a top one, both non-hideable.

I'd love to fine with only one taskbar, that can hide automatically when the pointer is not over it.

Someone suggested me Mate, but I've seen 2 taskbars in the screenshots, so not sure it's configurable

I ad tried lubuntu, but it's buggy, the bar sometimes autohides when connecting to a wifi from it for example

Thanks for the hints

howefield
September 3rd, 2016, 12:08 PM
In Unity you can hide the launcher ("side taskbar") - System Settings - Appearance - Behaviour > Autohide the launcher. Top panel can't be hidden though.

Don't know about Mate but I'd expect that you can hide one or both panels, also the panel in Xubuntu can autohide.

cyril-auburtin
September 3rd, 2016, 12:19 PM
Thanks I'll check them

howefield
September 3rd, 2016, 12:48 PM
Thanks I'll check them

Just checked with an Ubuntu Mate live USB, both panels can be set to autohide.

buzzingrobot
September 3rd, 2016, 02:37 PM
Unity's Launcher can be hidden. Its top panel cannot.

Gnome's top panel cannot be hidden, There are extensions to make it transparent, etc. In a default Gnome install, its dock aka Dash is hidden by default.

Panels in Mate, XFCE, KDE, and LXDE are can be hidden, or removed.

cmcanulty
September 3rd, 2016, 04:48 PM
Xubuntu you can have as many or few of panels as you want and all can be set to autohide-never, always or intelligently. Also set any height and length you want. Any color you want. Xfce rules!

autocrat
September 6th, 2016, 12:48 AM
right click > Properties > auto-hide