PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] lost applications while removing hunspell dependecies

pyslice
September 1st, 2016, 08:53 PM
Spelling was not working in LibreOffice (4.2.8) so I tried reinstalling libhunspell (1.3)
There was a dependency warning that I didn't take too seriously - it referred to 2 items I didn't know
I started worrying when I saw uninstall took sensibly longer than I expected
It took out about 70 other applications and packages (including software-center, update-manager, gedit, gimp etc., as well as the whole libreoffice package) mostly everything I installed myself, but also thing that came within the OS (I think gedit was already there, software-center, update-manager certainly were)
I reinstalled software-center so I can now see the list of removed items.

1. What happened? Is there a way I can retrieve the dependency warning that popped up before the libhunspell uninstall? (is there a system/warning events log?)

2. Is there a way to reinstall lost apps in bulk / restore applications to a certain moment.

Thank you.

Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS, Gnome

ajgreeny
September 1st, 2016, 11:05 PM
Command
grep -i " remove " /var/log/dpkg.log.1 /var/log/dpkg.log will show you all that has recently be removed and may allow you to list everything that was removed at that time and reinstall it all, though why a "reinstall" would remove anything I am not sure.

Did you use the reinstall option available with apt-get (or synaptic) or did you remove libhunspell then install it; the two will work in a totally different manner as far as dependencies are concerned.

mook765
September 1st, 2016, 11:30 PM
Look in /var/log/apt/term.log too.

pyslice
September 2nd, 2016, 07:55 PM
Thank you.
I don't have synaptic, I used Software-Center to remove libhunspell. Then I had to reinstall first Software-Center, then LibreOffice.
It is not the reinstall that removed my programs, but the uninstall; when libhunspell was uninstalled, somehow, a bunch of my programs were deemed needles dependencies and removed as well.
So, regarding reinstalling, there is no such thing as "restore to a previous state of the system"...

ajgreeny
September 2nd, 2016, 08:14 PM
That
grep -i " remove " /var/log/dpkg.log.1 /var/log/dpkg.log command I suggested will show all that was removed (uninstalled) whether by apt-get, synaptic, software-center, or even dpkg, so run it as I said and then reinstall the packages that were removed at the same time as libhunspell.

If I try to remove libhunspell the list of packages removed with it is shown below. You could try using that list to replace those packages, less any that you know you did not have and do not want.

zenity
libhunspell-1.3-0
libreoffice-pdfimport
libreoffice-base-core
libreoffice
libabiword-3.0
abiword
xubuntu-desktop
kde-runtime
libreoffice-writer
hunspell
libreoffice-impress