PDA

View Full Version : Today's April first joke almost gave me a heart attack

Nano
April 1st, 2005, 06:39 PM
If you don't want me to waste the surprise stop reading.

I updated everything, as everymorning, and restarted my laptop.
When gdm showed up I found this background:

http://www.iam****edup.com/tmp/background_april.jpg

instead of this:

http://www.iam****edup.com/tmp/background.jpg

Funny, true, but scared me...

Uuranor
April 1st, 2005, 07:26 PM
Rotfl, when I saw it I started to laugh and my mom was very worry... Who are those three developer?

... but I must admit the oscar for the "heart attack joke" was win by my girlfriend: she told me she is pregnant ... 8-[

jdodson
April 1st, 2005, 08:09 PM
Rotfl, when I saw it I started to laugh and my mom was very worry... Who are those three developer?

... but I must admit the oscar for the "heart attack joke" was win by my girlfriend: she told me she is pregnant ... 8-[

guy on the right is mark shuttleworth. not sure about the rest.

Dylanby
April 1st, 2005, 09:07 PM
I think the one in the middle is Daniel Stone.

Lovechild
April 1st, 2005, 10:35 PM
I told my friends I was getting married and was moving to the US... hook line and sinker!!

defkewl
April 2nd, 2005, 03:50 AM
That is so hillarious.

BWF89
April 2nd, 2005, 03:59 AM
When I came home from school my mom asked me to get her a glass of tap water. So when I turn on the tap she had the sink sprayer gumbanded on so I got hit with a beam of water and jumped back.

daniels
April 2nd, 2005, 03:59 AM
Going left-to-right: Matt Zimmerman (mdz, with the blue skivvy), James Troup (elmo, with the beard and glasses), Mark Shuttleworth (sabdfl).

mark
April 2nd, 2005, 04:27 AM
Going left-to-right: Matt Zimmerman (mdz, with the blue skivvy), James Troup (elmo, with the beard and glasses), Mark Shuttleworth (sabdfl).
I updated this morning (c. 4:30AM local) & never rebooted 'til I got home this evening (c. 6:00PM local)...you bastards! (ROTFLMAO)

There better be a refresh on the GDM tomorrow...

Mark

Lovechild
April 2nd, 2005, 09:48 AM
Well, I know that Mark didn't become a millionare on his looks :)

excellent joke, loved it so much

seven
April 2nd, 2005, 10:31 AM
yeah, i thought some one hacked my box rofl (which will never happen :razz: )
nice joke guyz

J. S. Jackson
April 2nd, 2005, 01:07 PM
Well, I know that Mark didn't become a millionare on his looks :)

I think you mean Billionaire. Unless he have lost that much money already on Ubuntu? ;)

tavon
April 2nd, 2005, 03:19 PM
Personally, I don't find it amusing... It was tasteless to say the least.

It's one thing to collaborate with others and pull pranks/jokes on your own servers/machines, but pulling stunts like this on your user's personal computers is totally uncalled for.

I trust you guys to send me tested and secure data. I also expect to be notified if you change anything. Granted that I blindly update my dist most of the time, but this "joke"... I would even go as far as call it unethical.

I consider this an equivalent to defacing a website.

Don't mess with my computer, unless you want me to start messing with your servers.

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate the hardwork and dedication of the ubuntu team. But I don't care who or how rich you are, you have no right to mess with other people's stuff.

Marquis_de_Carabas
April 2nd, 2005, 04:31 PM
It didn't even occur to me that it might be an April fools joke (possibly partly because it's now April 2nd and this is the first time I've logged in for a couple of days), I just wondered what the hell was going on!

But it certainly raised a smile. I'd hate to be using an OS with no sense of humour...

gylf
April 2nd, 2005, 04:40 PM

It's one thing to collaborate with others and pull pranks/jokes on your own servers/machines, but pulling stunts like this on your user's personal computers is totally uncalled for.

I trust you guys to send me tested and secure data. I also expect to be notified if you change anything. Granted that I blindly update my dist most of the time, but this "joke"... I would even go as far as call it unethical.

Don't mess with my computer, unless you want me to start messing with your servers.

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate the hardwork and dedication of the ubuntu team. But I don't care who or how rich you are, you have no right to mess with other people's stuff.

I was a really suprised that they did it with both Hoary and Warty. I can understand doing it as a joke with Hoary since its unstable and changes daily. But people using Warty want a stable and secure system and probably shouldn't have their backgrounds suddenly changed with no explaination.

That said, it was pretty funny.
Edit: though I do understand what your saying and I don't blame those running Warty who are upset.

ubuntu_demon
April 2nd, 2005, 04:43 PM

1) you have no sense of humour
2) hoary isn't released yet so it is okay to have a bit of fun. if you want stability go for warty

gylf
April 2nd, 2005, 04:44 PM
1) you have no sense of humour
2) hoary isn't released yet so it is okay to have a bit of fun. if you want stability go for warty

My Warty machine was updated too...

bored2k
April 2nd, 2005, 04:46 PM

They are not under contract of any kind and you are not paying Canonical, so they can do whatever they please with Ubuntu. So you find it disturbing? but don't get mad at three girls in a gdm? that is sad. As far as I'm concerned, it is called Ubuntu Artwork and they change how they think is best for the distribution. The artwork changes everyonce in a while, and no one cries about it .

I apparently did not receive the contract that said Ubuntu developpers could not change my artwork because it would make me go ballistic.

"Don't mess with my computer, unless you want me to start messing with your servers." What kind of nonsense threat is that ? Don't mess with your computer ? What ? Well here is a solution, reinstall Ubuntu, do a minimal install with no GUI, and get your GNOME / GDM from some other repository where they dont violate the rights you legally don't have.

ubuntu_demon
April 2nd, 2005, 04:57 PM
If I were them I would only do it to hoary. But I still think it's funny.

gylf
April 2nd, 2005, 05:08 PM
They are not under contract of any kind and you are not paying Canonical, so they can do whatever they please with Ubuntu.

He never said he was going to take legal action, just that he was offended by it.

Now allow me to digress for a moment, because this is an interesting legal point you brought up. That statement is actually incorrect. Just because you don't have a piece of signed paper doesn't mean you don't have a contract. And just because your not paying for a product doesn't mean the maker can do whatever they want with it. Displaying some really hidious image might give rise to an action in tort. Here is a more plausible situation: Pretend I'm a computer retailer and I install Ubuntu on pre-configured machines. I pay Canonical for support, and I in give support to my customers. A sudden change like this might scare my customers, who would bombard me with support phone calls of "my computer has been hacked". I don't know if there would be any real liability by Canonical, but you can see that there is at least an argument there on both sides.

"Don't mess with my computer, unless you want me to start messing with your servers." What kind of nonsense threat is that ? Don't mess with your computer ? What ?

Clearly he was upset. Obviously threatening Ubuntu isn't going to really help anything. But I think (hope) it was an overly passionate way of making his point and not an actual threat.

Lagiv
April 2nd, 2005, 05:12 PM
So you find it disturbing? but don't get mad at three girls in a gdm?
If I'm not mistaksen one of them is a man :-D
But yes, I agree fully.

Lovechild
April 2nd, 2005, 06:33 PM
I think you mean Billionaire. Unless he have lost that much money already on Ubuntu? ;)

Compared to me who is broke and hardly can make rent and food money.. it doesn't matter.. he's a good man though, not many people would give back to society like he does.

The guy is loaded okay... now can we stop reminding me that I'm on welfare?

strawberry
April 2nd, 2005, 09:16 PM
I see some of us took this joke wrong. Maybe they are too serious. I liked it very much and I'm sure we'll get back the original theme at one of the next update...

bored2k
April 2nd, 2005, 09:17 PM
I see some of us took this joke wrong. Maybe they are too serious. I liked it very much and I'm sure we'll get back the original theme at one of the next update...
It has already been changed.

shimon
April 3rd, 2005, 02:23 PM
I guess i was the only one who missed it as i have been loged in to GNOME for 4 weeks already

jensyt
April 3rd, 2005, 05:25 PM
I guess i was the only one who missed it as i have been loged in to GNOME for 4 weeks already
You're not the only one. I missed the whole thing, too.

kassetra
April 3rd, 2005, 07:05 PM

Mine was not, and I'm running a pure warty box. Did you have any Hoary upgrades?

kassetra
April 3rd, 2005, 07:14 PM

1. You invite them to "mess" with your computer everytime you use an unstable version.
2. Unstable means, "Not tested and Not secure - we do our best, but if you're running unstable, we don't even guarantee it will run."
3. Unstable also means, "We do not have to notify anyone of anything because UNSTABLE should also explain to you that we're still working on everything and nothing is production-ready."

Since you're having a difficult time understanding the reason behind an unstable release - I suggest that you go back down to Warty and only allow security updates from the repositories.

Outside of that, complaining about what the developers do or do not do in an unstable release serves very little in the way of usefullness.

gylf
April 4th, 2005, 12:55 AM
Mine was not, and I'm running a pure warty box. Did you have any Hoary upgrades?
Would the backport repositories have done it?

jdong
April 4th, 2005, 01:16 AM
I was away at the time, and missed the joke. I have to admit, for Hoary, it's a great prank.

However, I feel Canonical was FOOLISH for doing the same to Warty... You guys would risk stability to pull a prank, but wouldn't do so to fix annoying GNOME bugs (i.e. FTP binary/ascii modes)?

TravisNewman
April 4th, 2005, 01:17 AM
Would the backport repositories have done it?
Shouldn't have, no.

I'll chime in. I think this is hilarious. But for the 56k users, it's pretty annoying. I'd absolutely hate having downloaded a new package, thinking I'm going to get something nice and shiny, and getting that.

gylf
April 4th, 2005, 01:24 AM
Shouldn't have, no.

very odd... I know it was on my warty machine. Well, doesn't really matter but in the future I hope they keep the goofy fun stuff on the dev version and keep the stable version professional looking.

bored2k
April 4th, 2005, 01:41 AM
Shouldn't have, no.

I'll chime in. I think this is hilarious. But for the 56k users, it's pretty annoying. I'd absolutely hate having downloaded a new package, thinking I'm going to get something nice and shiny, and getting that.
Heeey! That was a very sexy GDM theme ( not )..