PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New install, purple screen with black glitching.

ssg2
August 30th, 2016, 12:27 PM
I just installed Ubuntu to my Hp Pavilion laptop. The graphics card is an AMD Carrizo. My problem is that several times per minute, and sometimes for long stretches, the screen will turn entirely purple and stay for a few seconds. There doesn't seem to be anything I am doing to cause this, it just occurs at random intervals. In addition to this, different parts of the screen, most noticeably pieces of text and the edges of windows are covered with glitchy black bars and boxes. I have done some research and found somebody who posted about this before, except with a Radeon graphics card not a Carrizo. Another post told me that Carrizo might not be supported by Ubuntu, but I don't know what to do from here. Are there drivers that I could install to fix this, or a different setting? Somebody mentioned using nomodeset to help Radeon, but the post with my card said that was unhelpful. I am rather new to this whole business, but if there are specs you need to help with this tell me and I can try to find them.
Thanks in advance, still very excited to use Ubuntu.