PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu 16.04 mini.iso - unable to retrieve nic-firmware

user49b
August 26th, 2016, 07:21 AM
Hi

Trying to install Ubuntu 16.04 via mini.iso.
At - Download Installer Components -
Downloading of nic-firmware fails.
Tried 8 different mirrors, but issue persists.

Regards
Kris

sudodus
August 26th, 2016, 01:27 PM
Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums :-)

Maybe you are using an old version, that is no longer working. Did you try the most current version available via this link: mini.iso, minimal install, netboot iso (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2230389&p=13211730#post13211730)?

jishac
June 30th, 2017, 03:38 PM
Ran into this issue with a virtual machine today. If anyone is still having issue with this it's likely the amount of memory and the installer running out of room on a ramdisk. I increased the VM memory from 256M to 1G and it took care of this problem.

johndough2
July 3rd, 2017, 11:45 AM
Hi

The nic-firmware may not be available from a repo maintained by Ubuntu.

My suggestion is to ID your network interface card and search for drivers, firmware etc online.

If found they could be added via another USB stick or something.

Please post the spec of the network kit that you have, and perhaps you may get a pointer from here.

riksoft
July 24th, 2017, 03:40 PM
Same here.
Maybe a fix to the message or having a proper repo would be nice.

I'm on Ubuntu 14.04 upgraded from 12 and instead of upgrading again to 16.04 I've tried to reinstall from scratch using the mini iso, but it stops immediately because of
"unable to retrieve nic-firmware, try another mirror".

No matter what mirror I select.
I'm pretty confident it will install with the standard DVD... if it only had a DVD reader instead of a CD :) and on the repo, the smallest after the mini is the 800MB iso (that does not fit into a cd).

I'm gonna try a portable USB DVD or I'll go with Debian.

riksoft
July 24th, 2017, 03:48 PM
PS: clicking cancel, it ends up in an infinite loop with the screen changing from black to white forever. I had to reset.

Bashing-om
July 24th, 2017, 05:04 PM
Guys : Hey'

We talking a WIFI connection here ?
Out of the Box .. no . The mini does support a wired connection .

what is that interface

kaefert66014235
December 12th, 2017, 07:14 PM
I just ran into the same problem. I'ts not a network problem, the 16.04 minim.iso simply will hang after downloading 29% of the required install packages on downloading the package "nic-firmware" and offer to select a different mirror.