PDA

View Full Version : Xenial Xerus upgrade on Asus EEE PC 1000H

aksyom
August 24th, 2016, 04:18 PM
Hello.

My friend has Ubuntu, the previous LTS, installed on her Asus EEE PC 1000H laptop. She is considering to upgrade to Xenial Xerus. Are there any guarantees if the upgrade succeeds, and whether it works well enough?

The current LTS Ubuntu works on the laptop, it is really slow but works.

The laptop has 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, GPU is probably Intel GMA.

Has anybody else experiences on running Xenial Xerus on EEE PC 1000H?

What are the possible problems one should expect when upgrading and after the upgrade (if it succeeds)?

RobGoss
August 24th, 2016, 04:25 PM
Hello and welcome, I currently run 16.04 with out any problems what so ever, thats not saying you won't have any issues it just means every system is different

I see a lot of people have trouble upgrading from 14.04 to 16.04, and I believe it's because they're skipping distributions and missing some important components in software to help the upgrade run smoothly. I always recommend doing a clean installation to avoid anyou issues you might run in to

2-GB of Ram is OK but it's kinda on the border line seeing Ubuntu is using more resources these day with each distribution it's always better to have more if possible

You can always try a lighter version of Ubuntu to see if you get better performance being you mention it was a tad slow