PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Poor behavior after hardware security updates

raequin
August 23rd, 2016, 04:24 PM
This morning Ubuntu showed me a pop-up window that stated a security update was available for my hardware. At least that's my recollection of what it said. I installed the updates and now the keyboard illumination is always on and the hard drive is always spinning. The command
top gives me

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
1523 rae 20 0 1581952 89264 21628 D 67.2 1.1 4:36.46 mediascanner-se

Since that command (mediascanner-se) starts with an m, I'll also include the fact that I added the following keyboard shortcut command, which didn't work.

/usr/local/MATLAB/R2015a/bin/matlab . &

The accelerator (or keyboard shortcut) for this was "ctrl+alt+M" and MATLAB would show its splash screen but never open and the hard drive would just keep spinning.

I logged out and restarted my computer several times to see if the spinning hard drive problem would go away but it persisted. However, in the time that I've been writing this mediascanner-se no longer shows up with
top and the hard drive has quit spinning. The keyboard illumination is still on.

mook765
August 23rd, 2016, 07:31 PM
My hard-drive is spinnig 24/7 and i would get crazy if it would stop spinning...
Anyway, here is a thread that seems to be related to your problem.
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2206377
Open the file /var/log/apt/history.log in your text-editor, far down at the end of the file you will find informations about the packages installed during that update.
Kind regards...

raequin
August 23rd, 2016, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the link, @mook765!

The keyboard illumination is also puzzling.

raequin
August 24th, 2016, 02:07 PM
This is a non-issue since I found the button for illumination. It would be nice to know why it is on by default now, but since I can easily turn it off I'll close this thread.