PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity : Click on address bar for path

meetdilip
August 22nd, 2016, 07:08 PM
This is one feature I loved a lot in Cinnamon. You can click on address bar ( actually, a button beside it ) and then the address bar turns to text from blocks. You can now copy the path to current folder from there as we copy a domain name in browser. Any chance to get that in Unity ?

mc4man
August 22nd, 2016, 09:09 PM
Nothing to go with unity, it's a function of the file manager, by default that's nautilus.
Nautilus doesn't have a button for this, there is a binding to go from breadcrumbs to location - ctrl+l
(- note that there is no toggle, once in location that current window stays in location until closed. One could likely create a toggle binding using gsettings instead of the included ctrl+l

coffeecat
August 22nd, 2016, 09:19 PM
(- note that there is no toggle, once in location that current window stays in location until closed. One could likely create a toggle binding using gsettings instead of the included ctrl+l

No need to create a binding. There is already a toggle in Nautilus to go from location to breadcrumbs - esc.

mc4man
August 22nd, 2016, 09:24 PM
No need to create a binding. There is already a toggle in Nautilus to go from location to breadcrumbs - esc.
Cool, I tried alot of keys, didn't think to try just plain esc..

Just in case someone wanted 1 binding to toggle, in this case I named below script toggle2, made executable & placed in $PATH. Set a custom binding of ctrl+x to run toggle2

#!/bin/bash
key_value=$(dconf read /org/gnome/nautilus/preferences/always-use-location-entry)
echo $key_value | grep "false"
if [[ $? -eq false ]] ; then
dconf write /org/gnome/nautilus/preferences/always-use-location-entry true
else
dconf write /org/gnome/nautilus/preferences/always-use-location-entry false
fi

meetdilip
August 22nd, 2016, 09:27 PM
Cool, I tried alot of keys, didn't think to try just plain esc..

Just in case someone wanted 1 binding to toggle, in this case I named below script toggle2, made executable & placed in $PATH. Set a custom binding of ctrl+x to run toggle2

#!/bin/bash
key_value=$(dconf read /org/gnome/nautilus/preferences/always-use-location-entry)
echo $key_value | grep "false"
if [[ $? -eq false ]] ; then
dconf write /org/gnome/nautilus/preferences/always-use-location-entry true
else
dconf write /org/gnome/nautilus/preferences/always-use-location-entry false
fi

1. How do you make this executable

2. Placed in $PATH : How to do that ?

Thanks for the ctrl+ l and esc key suggestions.

mc4man
August 23rd, 2016, 01:44 AM
1. How do you make this executable

2. Placed in $PATH : How to do that ?

Thanks for the ctrl+ l and esc key suggestions.
Well you could use a terminal & commands of mkdir, touch,gedit, chmod & source but I give you the gui method -

Open your home folder > right click > New Folder > name it
bin

Open the bin folder > right click > New Document .. , name it something simple ending with a number, for example, toggle2
(- adding a number pretty much assures you're not using an existing linux command
Open the file in a text editor, paste in complete code box from above, save, close editor

Right click on the file > Properties > Permissions > click the Execute: box to enable.
Reboot, then open nautilus & a terminal. Type in the name of script, ex. toggle2, press enter, the breadcrumbs should change to location. Press up arrow on keyboard to reload command, press enter, should go back. (may print false every other, doesn't matter..

If working then open System Settings > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Custom shortcuts. Click the + , give the shortcut any name, for command use script name, ex. toggle2 , click apply - scr.1
After creating click on the "disabled" > use binding desired on keyboard to set. I used ctrl+z as it's one handed & apparently not taken. screen 2

To use, just binding with or without focus on nautilus.
If you later have any other user scripts then just put them in the bin folder you created in home folder.
( marked as executable of course.

Edit: ctrl+z binding better as ctrl+x is used by nano, maybe elsewhere. Point is to use a binding not used elsewhere

meetdilip
August 23rd, 2016, 07:11 PM
Thanks. So helpful :)