PDA

View Full Version : How do I put current Blender in the correct menu category?

lukon
August 22nd, 2016, 06:01 PM
I've got 16.04.

I'm taking an on-line course that requires me to install the most current version of Blender, which of course is not in the Ubuntu repositories, so I've got to go direct, putting Blender in my /home/luke/Blender directory.

Once I do install it, the menu editor refuses to put Blender in the graphics category of applications, instead locking it into the "other" category. This really annoys me. What good is a menu editor that won't let you actually categorize the applications the way that makes sense?

Anyway, does anybody know how I can get the latest Blender installed and properly categorized in my menu (Classic menu indicator)?

halogen2
August 22nd, 2016, 06:41 PM
Edit your Blender .desktop file in a text editor, add a line like this

Categories=Graphics;

CantankRus
August 23rd, 2016, 05:31 AM
You may be interested in installing blender from THIS PPA (https://launchpad.net/~thomas-schiex/+archive/ubuntu/blender) where it will work as your other applications
and be updated.
It will also appear in the graphics section.

If not just use the blender.desktop file that is in your extracted blender folder as a reference when creating your own .desktop launcher.

riazkhan520
August 27th, 2016, 11:11 AM
[Desktop Entry]
Name=the name you want shown
Comment=
Exec=command to run
Icon=icon name
Terminal=false
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true

lukon
August 28th, 2016, 02:49 PM
Thanks to you all! My motherboard BIOS just broke, so I won't get a chance to try these solutions until I replace that motherboard and rebuild the computer.