PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can't go from EOL -> LTS

uh-huh
August 22nd, 2016, 02:21 AM
Hi Forum:
I tried to upgrade from 15.10 to 16.04 using
$sudo do-release-upgrade but got "No new release found". So I went on-line and found there were a few more hoops to go through. There was use -c and -d switches, there was
$sudo apt-get upgrade and
$sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. Another page had about five of these
$deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ xenial-xerus main restricted universe multiverse. deb? Not a command according to bash.

So, none of these work. I keep getting "No new release found" Don't tell me I have to back up everything and install from a boot-stick!

kansasnoob
August 22nd, 2016, 03:36 AM
About this:

deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ xenial-xerus main restricted universe multiverse

You may (or may not) have to change the software sources to look in "old-releases" if the 15.10 repos have been closed. But, and this is a big but, you don't want it to say "xenial-xerus" because 16.04 = Xenial and it's repos are definitely still open until at least April 2019.

But first things first. Open the Software & Updates UI and under the Updates tab look at the bottom where it says Notify me of a new Ubuntu version. Make sure that is set to say long-term support versions only.

Next post the full output of these two commands here so we can see what's actually going on:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

We should be able to tell from that if the 15.10 repos are closed or not, or if you have some other problem.

uh-huh
August 22nd, 2016, 04:33 AM
huge file - couldn't post it - error was 'security token missing'

trying this http://paste.ubuntu.com/23077229/

deadflowr
August 22nd, 2016, 04:47 AM
You need to disable the mc3man mpv-test ppa.
Then run the apt-get update command again.
And then the apt-get dist-upgrade command.

error was 'security token missing'
forum error? or apt error?
(I did not understand whether that was related to the file or to the forums unable to load the file)

uh-huh
August 22nd, 2016, 02:29 PM
Forum error. When I tried to post the output of commands suggested by kansasnoob nothing happened but that error 'security token missing'. So I uploaded it using pastebinit.

How do I "disable" mc3man mpv-test ppa?

grahammechanical
August 22nd, 2016, 02:36 PM
You could have posted the output from each command separately and enclosed the text in quote tags and the text would become scrollable.

You should disable all PPAs before upgrading to a newer version and also switch to an open source video driver. System Settings>Software & Updates>Other software tab to disable PPAs and Additional Drivers tab to change to the open source video driver.

Regards

P.S. Do not use the -d switch with do-release-upgrade. That will upgrade to the unfinished development version (yakkety yak). It will only have 9 months support when it is released in October.

uh-huh
August 22nd, 2016, 05:38 PM
You could have posted the output from each command separately and enclosed the text in quote tags and the text would become scrollable.

I tried that originally, thus the error. Went to plan B. The paste is scrollable, Ctl-F [/CODE] and Ctl-F [CODE]works. An 'addict' would know that.

Thanks for the info, been awhile since I had to edit the repo.

But, why do I have to give PW every time I click the stupid box? Least sudo sticks around for a bit.

uh-huh
August 22nd, 2016, 10:07 PM
OK, I changed the repo settings and rebooted. Now, before I lay this to rest, what do I do?
$sudo do-release-upgrade or
$sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

What is the difference?

One more thing: if this works, and I come back on 16.04, how do I do the [solved] thing?

deadflowr
August 23rd, 2016, 04:14 AM
updates all packages within the current version of Ubuntu.

It does differ from the safer updating command:

sudo apt-get upgrade
in that the upgrade command only updates already install packages. It won't install any new packages.
The dist-upgrade command will also install new packages.
(Important to note that dist-upgrade may also remove packages if it's needed to satisfy the needs of a new package)

do-release-upgrade
will update Ubuntu's release version.

It's important to know that you more likely than not will need to run the dist-upgrade command first, in order to get the updated packages that will allow for the do-release-upgrade command to work.

So basically, best way to go about it is

sudo apt-get update
do-release-upgrade

deadflowr
August 23rd, 2016, 04:14 AM
updates all packages within the current version of Ubuntu.

It does differ from the safer updating command:

sudo apt-get upgrade
in that the upgrade command only updates already install packages. It won't install any new packages.
The dist-upgrade command will also install new packages.
(Important to note that dist-upgrade may also remove packages if it's needed to satisfy the needs of a new package)

do-release-upgrade
will update Ubuntu's release version.

It's important to know that you more likely than not will need to run the dist-upgrade command first, in order to get the updated packages that will allow for the do-release-upgrade command to work.

So basically, best way to go about it is

sudo apt-get update
do-release-upgrade

uh-huh
August 23rd, 2016, 04:58 AM
I asked on irc #ubuntu and the consensus seemed to be to use do-release-upgrade only. So I did and it worked apparently. I'm now rockin 16.04. Thanks for all the help guys! Now how do I mark this solved?

deadflowr
August 23rd, 2016, 06:08 AM
Now how do I mark this solved?

My lazy answer:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPostsTeam/SolvedThreads

uh-huh
August 23rd, 2016, 06:34 AM
sorry for this - please disregard