PDA

View Full Version : Problem booting Gnome

freddan80
August 20th, 2016, 12:19 AM
Hi all. I have been away from the world of Linux for some years but thought it were time to visit the exciting world of open source software once again but I am having some problems with UbuntuGnome and my HP Pavilion aptop. After the install which runs fine, I boot up and are finally greeted with a nice but simple looking GDM or whatever the login manager is called now a days, but after putting in my password nothing happens. The screen doesn't go black it is just that the login manager goes away and I'm greeted with a empty background and no mouse pointer at all. The funny thing is that I have managed to boot into Gnome on two occasion and it always always boots when booting using safe mode.

The other distributions I have tested includes Elementary Linux both the stable and the beta Loki version and both are running fine and Loki I believe is based on Ubuntu 16.04.1.

I don't use any proprietary driver and haven't installed any other driver for my AMD R5 graphics card other than that of the default installation, I don't even have a network during my install since my network card ain't supported in the oldish kernel Ubuntu uses. Please help me cause I need my Gnome back. thanks.

Edit:
I haven't had the time to test this thurley but if I boot using the advanced options in Grub but choose to boot normally from there I get a working Gnome desktop with the right resolution, when booting from the ordinary Grub I just see GDM (still in the right resolution though). as I said before I haven't had the chance to test this properly yet and won't until tomorrow but I thought the information would help anyone with more knowledge than me. Thanks. /Fredrik

freddan80
August 20th, 2016, 11:34 PM
I wanted to add that using Ubuntu Gnomes live-cd always work like a charm and Gnome always boot as it should.