PDA

View Full Version : Please compare systemd to Upstart? Thanks

sam-c
August 18th, 2016, 11:22 PM
"Canonical to Replace Upstart with systemd for Ubuntu 16.10's Session Startup" ? from softpedia

QIII
August 18th, 2016, 11:30 PM
Moved to The Cafe

Hello!

Rather than inventing the wheel, this (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SystemdForUpstartUsers) would be a good place to start.

A word of warning to the community:

If this turns into yet another systemd/upstart flame war, the thread will be closed.

grahammechanical
August 19th, 2016, 04:25 PM
The decision to replace upstart with systemd was taken some time ago. It appears that the switch was made on the Linux side of things but upstart was used on the user side of things. It appears that it is now time for the switch to be made for the user side of things.

I do not see it as anything to get fussed about. Will anybody notice the change?

Regards

ventrical
August 19th, 2016, 11:52 PM
upstart is still used to build lxc and unity8 bridges for X ..

ventrical
August 19th, 2016, 11:56 PM
The decision to replace upstart with systemd was taken some time ago. It appears that the switch was made on the Linux side of things but upstart was used on the user side of things. It appears that it is now time for the switch to be made for the user side of things.

I do not see it as anything to get fussed about. Will anybody notice the change?

Regards

I have been doing updates and noticed my higher speed boxes are now taking 30 seconds longer to boot into the unity greeter. It is to be expected in dev and probably will be ironed out come October. It is the "linux" thing to do and so does Canonical also have to stay current with the framework or ubuntu becomes a dinosaur and not an endangered wildebeast :)

Regards..