PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 16.04????

frank18
August 18th, 2016, 10:47 PM
​Hi guys 3 month past since release of 16.04,has anybody seen over all improvement of bugs wise in 16.04,i tried a clean install 3 months ago and it was disappointing,it was the worse release of Ubuntu ever,i'm running presently Ubuntu 14.04 which is running great, have the issues with ati drivers been resolved,or everything still a mess?,

QIII
August 18th, 2016, 11:22 PM
If by "issues with ATI drivers" you mean the fact that fglrx does not work, then no.

If, however, you mean "do Radeon and AMDGPU work with AMD graphics?" then that was not an issue, as they have worked all along.

Will fglrx be back? Maybe, maybe not. Not likely for 16.04. AMD is rooting up and repairing the entire scope of its Linux drivers to better support Linux -- and it's causing turmoil. But it is all being done, at great cost to AMD, to give the open source community what we have been asking for for years.

Is 16.04 the worst release ever? Probably. Every new release is labeled the worst release ever by some.

howefield
August 19th, 2016, 08:28 AM
....i'm running presently Ubuntu 14.04 which is running great,

Then don't fix it ;)

If you were unhappy with 16.04, you'll most likely still be unhappy with 16.04.1 from the respect of the AMD graphics drivers.

I have an older AMD card with 16.04.1 running as sweet as a nut, however this laptop does nothing that would really tax the graphics performance.

vasa1
August 19th, 2016, 10:13 AM
Reminds me of https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2323520.