PDA

View Full Version : Hiding icons makes ubuntu freeze whenever you interact with the desktop

crocuta2
August 11th, 2016, 01:18 AM
Hi there, I'm new. I hope I'm posting in the right section. I tried to hide the icons on my ubuntu desktop. I first tried on ubuntu 15.04 with ubuntu-tweak. Then, I used dconf-editor on ubuntu 16.04 but the problem persists. How do I fix this? I haven't see anybody else having this problem on the internet :confused:

grahammechanical
August 11th, 2016, 01:33 PM
Do you mean the icons in the Launcher panel that is on the left side of the screen. We can set the Launcher to auto-hide in System Settings>Appearance>Behaviour tab.

Regards

crocuta2
August 11th, 2016, 07:12 PM
No, I mean the icons on the actual desktop! If I'm not mistaken, ubuntu doesn't allow you to hide them without installing anything..

deadflowr
August 11th, 2016, 08:34 PM
There are no icons on the desktop by default, so how did you placed them there?
Or what kind of icon?
Are they files or folder names like Home or Computer.
Or are they file names like something.png, or something.txt?

crocuta2
August 11th, 2016, 09:59 PM
I'm sorry, there must have been a misunderstanding (I'm Neither English nor American)! Folders and files, that's what I meant! I intended to use the file manager to move around my folders so I thought the desktop was useless. I decided to hide everything from it but whenever I do so, in any way, ubuntu goes crazy and starts to freeze. However, if I don't interact with the desktop – i.e. I don't click on it, I don't drag folders etc.. – , let's say I just navigate the internet, ubuntu works perfectly. It really baffles me that nobody else has reported the same issue!

deadflowr
August 11th, 2016, 10:06 PM
there must have been a misunderstanding
I guess so.

From the above it sounds like you were trying to move the desktop folder, is that right?

crocuta2
August 11th, 2016, 10:42 PM
We don't understand each other XD

http://i68.tinypic.com/2mzh2q1.jpg

It's like adding "." at the beginning of a file's name and then pressing ctrl+h. That allows you to hide files and folders from the file manager but not from the desktop. It's a standard feature on windows!!