PDA

View Full Version : Virtualenv (python) in Ubuntu on external hard drive

Nebelhom
August 9th, 2016, 09:11 PM
Hi folks,

I am not 100% sure this is the right forum, but it is the closest that I could find to my problem. If a mod feels that it should be moved to a more fitting place please do so. Thank you!

I am trying to create a virtualenv on my external hard drive that I use for both my Ubuntu and my Windows installation (I have a SSD and use 2TB external hard drive for anything but PC games).

When I navigate to the place and try to create it with the commands that work on the Ubuntu drives, I get the following:

nebelhom@nebelhom-desktop:/media/extHDD/virt_folder$ virtualenv MyFolder
New python executable in /media/nebelhom/extHDD/virt_folder/MyFolder/bin/python
ERROR: The executable /media/nebelhom/extHDD/virt_folder/MyFolder/bin/python could not be run: [Errno 13] Permission denied

Running the same with "sudo" did not help either and gave the same error as above.

What I tried next is indicating the python version

nebelhom@nebelhom-desktop:/media/nebelhom/extHDD/virt_folder$ sudo virtualenv -p python2.7 MyFolder
Running virtualenv with interpreter /usr/bin/python2.7
New python executable in /media/nebelhom/extHDD/virt_folder/MyFolder/bin/python2.7
Not overwriting existing python script /media/nebelhom/extHDD/virt_folder/MyFolder/bin/python (you must use /media/nebelhom/extHDD/virt_folder/MyFolder/bin/python2.7)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/virtualenv.py", line 2332, in <module>
main()
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/virtualenv.py", line 711, in main
symlink=options.symlink)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/virtualenv.py", line 924, in create_environment
site_packages=site_packages, clear=clear, symlink=symlink))
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/virtualenv.py", line 1369, in install_python
os.symlink(py_executable_base, full_pth)
OSError: [Errno 17] File exists

And now I am stuck :/ . Has anyone of you tried something like this before and succeeded?

P.S. I am using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

nargaroth_reg
August 15th, 2016, 01:56 PM
Hello, perhaps it is a permissions problem? I would try setting the local user as owner of the /virt_folder/ directory and allowing execution of files first.