PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Frozen keyboard at grub2 and boot selection screens

Steven_T_Parker
August 8th, 2016, 02:45 PM
I was previously using Kubuntu and tried to use the boot selection screen to install another distro from a USB memory stick, and the arrow keys did not work on either my laptop or a USB keyboard.

I think purged and reinstalled GRUB2, according to very precise instructions. I was running a virus scan with Clam.TK (which I halted mid scan) not sure if this is an issue. It discovered 2 trojans.

Soon after, when I did the whole F12 boot selection thing, a command line type screen would come up suggestion I input tab to see a list of BASH commands. However, none of the keys apart from Enter worked.

This peculiar screen vanished for some reason when I made subsequent attempts, but still: arrow keys frozen, and (not sure if this is related) attempts to boot Kubuntu 14.04 from DVD did not work.

This is "partially" solved, as I managed to select a USB boot device using this method: holding the DOWN ARROW whilst pressing F12. I am now using Lubuntu, but again it is impossible to change boot device: this "forcing the down arrow" thing no longer seems to work. I am very happy with Lubuntu, but would at least like the choice of reformatting.

Is it worth purging Grub2 and installing again? https://ubuntuforums.org/images/icons/icon8.png

oldfred
August 8th, 2016, 03:31 PM
Probably not a grub issue.

What video card/chip?

Some UEFI/BIOS require you to turn on USB port for keyboard or mouse. Both Windows & Ubuntu add their own drivers, but grub requires the BIOS/UEFI driver to work.