PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Graphics Card for Ubuntu [Dell Latitude E6420]

scottyfillups
August 7th, 2016, 08:19 PM
Hello,

I've recently installed Ubuntu for the first time. My laptop is a Dell Latitude E6420. I've attached my laptop to a docking station, which is connected to an external monitor. While Ubuntu works just fine when my laptop isn't docked, the screen (e.g. the cursor and windows) appears to lag when it's displayed on my external monitor.

After doing some research, I hypothesized that I have to install graphics drivers (again), since I'm using a different platform.
I looked up my graphics card model, NVIDIA Corporation GF119M [NVS 4200M] (rev a1), and found this page:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/296248/install-gf119m-quadro-nvs-4200m-rev-a1-drivers-correctly

I followed the page's instructions and got this message in the terminal:

Package nvidia-310 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'nvidia-310' has no installation candidate
E: Unable to locate package nvidia-settings-310

After some disappointment, I decided to google "Dell Latitude E6420 Ubuntu Graphics" and got this page:
http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/201011-6843/

The page has a download button for Ubuntu 12.04; perhaps implying that I'll need to downgrade from 16.04.1 to 12.04. I felt uncomfortable with installing an older version of Ubuntu, so I've come here to seek the advice of wizards.

My primary goal is to eliminate the lag whenever I move my cursor.
My secondary goal is to install any drivers that will increase my laptop's performance when running Ubuntu (I feel this is closely linked to my primary goal though)

This is my first time ever using a Linux operating system (Yes, I've never used an Apple product in my entire life), so please be gentle >~<

For anyone who has read this far and composing a reply, thanks so much for your time <3