PDA

View Full Version : attempted upgrade to 16.04; black login screen, unknown username

deloric
August 5th, 2016, 03:48 PM
Hello,

I was notified of the 16.04 update the other day and tried to update. After a while it froze, so I restarted my machine, and now when I turn it on it comes to a black screen asking for a login and password. I have no idea what my login would be. I tried to boot my windowsXP but that just brought me to the same black screen. Is there a way to figure out what my login username is? I'm not very techie.

Thanks for any help

Tracey

steeldriver
August 5th, 2016, 04:03 PM
Your home directory name will almost always be the same as your username, so one way to find it is to boot to recovery mode (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RecoveryMode) and then type

ls /home

in the root shell (there is no need to remount the filesystem - you can skip that step)

deloric
August 5th, 2016, 05:23 PM
I tried booting in recovery mode but the same screen asking for login and password just comes up. It won't let me type anything different in there - just says its an invalid login.

steeldriver
August 5th, 2016, 05:57 PM
When you get to the Advanced Menu, you should be able to use the arrow keys to select "Drop to root shell"

Press the TAB key to select <OK>, then you should see a message

Press Enter for maintenance
(or press Control-D to continue)

Press Enter and you should get a root shell

root@machine-name:~#

into which you can type

ls /home

deloric
August 5th, 2016, 08:47 PM
I can't get to the advanced menu. I choose to boot from advanced menu, then it gives me a long list of options, half of which have (recovery mode) after them. "ubuntu, with linux 3.13.0-(# between 32 and 92)-generic" I've chosen multiple recovery modes, and it runs through a long script of text and then that black logon screen comes up. It says "ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS tracey-eM250 tty1" "tracey-eM250 login:"

grahammechanical
August 5th, 2016, 09:01 PM
If the upgrade froze and you switched off you may need to do a fresh install of Ubuntu 16.04. That may be the best option for you for you may now have a broken installation.

If you were able to get to the recovery menu by selecting a recovery mode kernel, then we may be able to suggest some commands that may complete the upgrade. But you cannot get to the recovery menu.

Regards

deloric
August 5th, 2016, 09:27 PM
Okay; thats what I was thinking I might have to do. Thankfully I just did a backup a few weeks ago when I resized my partitions. Thanks for the help everybody.

steeldriver
August 5th, 2016, 09:41 PM
FYI if you have unsaved data (since your last backup) then you should be able to mount your broken system from a live CD / USB and copy it off - there should be no need to lose anything