PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade to 16.04, youtube videos do not play

driebel
August 2nd, 2016, 02:48 PM
I have a System76 laptop, and upgraded to 16.04 last night. Most of the upgrade went perfectly, but there are a few lingering issues that I'm discovering. Two are related to video playback, which I am very ignorant about.

Most importantly, youtube does not play at all. I prefer to use chrome as a web browser, but I have also tested this in Firefox. The grey progress bar indicates the video is buffering, but it does not play. I'm afraid I don't know what aspects of web browsers are responsible for playing such videos, so I'm not sure what to troubleshoot next.

Of lesser importance, I've noticed that VLC now has trouble plying .wmv files. It plays all other formats fine, but .wmv files are very jerky. This is less of an issue because both videos and xine play these files fine. Perhaps these two issues are connected in some way? As I said, I know very little about how video playback is handled behind the scenes.

Thanks!

EDIT: Hmmm, I'm continuing to troubleshoot, the problem seems connected to using my bluetooth headphones. I was suing them fine with 14.04, and youtube plays fine using the built in speakers of my laptop and a pair of wired headphones, but as soon as audio is switched to a pair of wireless headphones (via sound settings), playback stops immediately.

mörgæs
August 3rd, 2016, 07:47 AM
Have you tried a fresh install (not upgrade) of 16.04?

driebel
August 4th, 2016, 03:51 AM
No, I haven't. I'd have to track down a DVD burner/sufficiently large USB stick, neither of which I own.

Do you have any suggestions about how I might troubleshoot this issue before I start trying that?

mörgæs
August 4th, 2016, 08:48 AM
No, I don't troubleshoot a system which has been upgraded. If the same problem appears in a fresh install then it's time for digging deeper into the problem.

driebel
August 5th, 2016, 03:06 AM
Very helpful in the upgrade forum. Thanks!

vasa1
August 5th, 2016, 03:12 AM
Very helpful in the upgrade forum. Thanks!
I don't know what you're implying here, but the forum is titled "Installation & Upgrades". Troubleshooting an upgraded system maybe far more difficult than troubleshooting a clean install.

mc4man
August 5th, 2016, 04:56 AM
For the short time I had a sys76 laptop I noticed they use some of their own modified packages (drivers
So best 1st stop regarding the bluetooth issue would be with them, maybe there are some 16.04 packages suitable for your system.
(or some other means to fix.