PDA

View Full Version : Turning off the On/Off button

FerryGnu
August 1st, 2016, 05:54 PM
What genius figured that was a good idea? Installing 16lts from a CD and the CD appears to be faulty or something else has gone wrong. The laptop is encased in a metal enclosure so I can't remove the battery. I have unplugged the power to it and now I have to sit and wait 10+ hours for the battery to go flat as the On/Off switch has been disabled. DUH!

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee363/MyPics4Me/Ubuntu_Install_FU.jpg

QIII
August 1st, 2016, 06:38 PM
How did you prepare the optical media? Did you check the integrity of the media?

This behavior is not by design, so nobody had a bright idea for this to happen.

Did you have a previous installation of Ubuntu? Had you installed and activated Watchdog? Strangely, Watchdog should get you out of a freeze - that's what it is intended to do.

grahammechanical
August 1st, 2016, 07:01 PM
Ubuntu would not enclose a laptop in a metal enclosure or physically disable the on/off power switch.

I wonder how a machine like that can be restarted once Ubuntu has been shut down. How to change the boot priority without powering off, restarting and entering the BIOS/UEFI settings utility?

Someone does not want that machine to be messed with.

QIII
August 1st, 2016, 07:08 PM
It might be worthwhile for you to let us know the model and hardware specs of your machine.

FerryGnu
August 1st, 2016, 07:12 PM
How did you prepare the optical media? Did you check the integrity of the media?

Windows 8.1, UltraISO v9 and Yes it Verified after burn declaring 100% valid. The burning was all good and it test-booted just fine.

On the laptop it was about ten minutes into the install when it crashed. The laptop is not online so it kept hanging a lot looking to download stuff even though I had unchecked "update during install" and "Install 3rd party" stuff. But, I won't whine about the futility of that here.

This behavior is not by design, so nobody had a bright idea for this to happen.

I beg to differ, someone decided to disable the On/Off function when starting the Installer. I have been programming for 40-years so have a fair idea of what happens. :) They did that so the install could not be interrupted. BUT they dangerously assumed there would be no problems and if there were, then one could just unplug the desktop. A laptop or tablet with a sealed in battery, not so much!

Did you have a previous installation of Ubuntu?

Yes, 14lts and I elected to delete and install 16lts wiping everything of 14lts.

Had you installed and activated Watchdog

No. If or since it was installed then it was the 16lts.

Watchdog should get you out of a freeze - that's what it is intended to do.

Ahhh, good. I'll go yell that at the laptop.

I still say it was a dopey idea to disable the On/Off functionality.

QIII
August 1st, 2016, 07:17 PM
You are, in fact, incorrect about the disabling of the on/off switch. Witness the number of times we answer support questions from those who have switched their machines off for various reasons during installation.

Something has gone wrong that has absolutely nothing to do with some imagined deliberate action by developers.

"...when it crashed..." may have something to do with it, don't you think?

DuckHook
August 1st, 2016, 08:46 PM
It might be worthwhile for you to let us know the model and hardware specs of your machine.

Ahhh, good. I'll go yell that at the laptop.I'm going to make only one observation, then back out.

Frustration is understandable. The slide into sarcasm and snark is not. The volunteers trying to help you on this forum are not the authors of your misery. By focusing on venting rather than co-operating, you ignored QIII's request for the very info required to further help you.