PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Please read before upgrading from 14.04.x to 16.04.x

yoshii
July 31st, 2016, 10:41 PM
A lot of people are reporting issues with online upgrades of v14.04.x to v16.04.x
Most of the people who know a lot about installs say that it's better to do a clean install to avoid the trickinesses and bugs.

So just be sure to research how to do that before you try to do an online upgrade.
I'm not saying that it can't be done... just that people are reporting problems and that our local experts say do a clean full install instead.

I don't know much about that though. So I will leave the explaining to them.

ghaxor
July 31st, 2016, 11:20 PM
hi recently i upgrade my ubuntu 14 to 16 and i can use VMWARE so i have a lot of problems to reinstall again at the end i go back to the version 14

grahammechanical
August 1st, 2016, 12:36 AM
Some of the problems are self-inflicted wounds.

Logging out is the latest one. I have also seen on this forum: shutting the laptop lid and switching the computer off. Sometimes an upgrade requires user interaction and when the OS does not get any response it gets bored with waiting and sulks. When the user finally acts the response is to power down the machine.

It is not easy to solve a broken upgrade. A fresh install is often the least time consuming solution.

Regards.