PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Issues after Upgrading to 16.04 LTS from 14.04 LTS

dwhitney67
July 31st, 2016, 02:55 PM
I am using the KDE desktop manager (i.e. Kubuntu). Here are the issues I have seen thus far:

1. My 14.04 KDE settings (located in ~/.kde) are not supported and/or not read by 16.04.

2. KDE Window manager occasionally crashes; this leaves the user with no ability to manage opened windows (i.e. move, resize, close, etc). New windows appear on the upper-left of the screen with the same problem in that they cannot be managed. A log-out/log-in solves the problem.

3. Audio playback of MP3 music sometimes stutters.

4. Custom IPv4 setting of wired network interface stopped working; I had to revert to using DHCP, which is not ideal for a server system. Before going to DHCP, I could not ping my router, much less anything on the outside (e.g. www.google.com).

Overall, I regret going through with the upgrade. I recommend to others to forgo this version. It is quite clear that insufficient testing was conducted on the product. As for 14.04, it is supposedly supported until 2019, which should cover the lifetime of a computer that was purchased 2-3 years ago.

If anyone has any comments on how to resolve any of the issues listed above, I would appreciate reading them.