PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 16.04.1 would be better if the display worked

MadMax2
July 29th, 2016, 07:54 AM
Upgraded from 14.04 to 16.04.1 on restart all I got was a minimal log in screen but after that their was no display in the monitor [alms for the blind]. I checked the release notes and saw there was an issue with radeon hw but thought it was a slight glitch.
I attach the tv by HDMI cable and see the screen (although it doesn't fit correctly). Do I have to reinstall 14.04?

*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Kaveri [Radeon R7 Graphics]
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]

howefield
July 29th, 2016, 08:00 AM
Presumably you didn't uninstall the proprietary drivers before upgrading ?

As far as I knew, the upgrade should do that for you, but a few threads here seem to say the opposite, can you boot to a command prompt ?

MadMax2
July 29th, 2016, 08:13 AM
I think I chose the option to install the proprietary drivers later (I was doing two things at once). I'll try to boot to a command promt (I can't recall which key to push?)

QIII
July 29th, 2016, 08:19 AM
If you "upgraded" without removing the proprietary driver (assuming you had fglrx installed) rather than doing a fresh installation, you may very well have problems related to that.

fglrx does not work with Xenial. It is not even included as an option. However, if it had been installed prior to your upgrade (rather than a fresh install), then the xorg.conf created by installing fglrx would likely have survived the upgrade process and would now be directing your OS to try to use a driver that is neither compatible with nor available for the OS.

How we go about solving this is somewhat predicated on knowing if you upgraded in place, whether fglrx was previously installed and whether you uninstalled it prior to upgrading.

howefield
July 29th, 2016, 08:19 AM
Not exactly sure what you are seeing by "no display", if anything at all, but try a Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get a terminal, if that fails try booting to the terminal from Recovery mode. Press and hold the shift key quickly after powering on to get to the grub menu and select as required.

MadMax2
July 29th, 2016, 08:34 AM
How we go about solving this is somewhat predicated on knowing if you upgraded in place, whether fglrx was previously installed and whether you uninstalled it prior to upgrading.

I upgraded in place. I don't know if fglrx was installed?

QIII
July 29th, 2016, 08:36 AM
You might recognize it as "AMD Catalyst". Does that sound familiar?

MadMax2
July 29th, 2016, 08:54 AM
I can get a terminal as the TV is connected and I do a Ctrl Alt T?

howefield
July 29th, 2016, 09:06 AM
Try..

sudo apt purge -s fglrx*

The -s switch means simulate so the command will tell you what it is going to do but not actually remove anything, if you are happy with the output you can run the command without the -s switch.

MadMax2
July 29th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Try..

sudo apt purge -s fglrx*

The -s switch means simulate so the command will tell you what it is going to do but not actually remove anything, if you are happy with the output you can run the command without the -s switch.

It says package fglrx is not installed

MadMax2
July 29th, 2016, 10:00 AM
If I had a newer monitor with HDMI connection???

MadMax2
July 31st, 2016, 12:56 AM
I reinstalled 14.04.
I burned a copy of 16.04.1 . I gave it a try but while I hear it wrrrrrrr the screen stays blank.
I'll try again when that bug is fixed: No Display ( that's a biggy huh?!)

Display is TEAC Model LCD-1910

MadMax2
August 15th, 2016, 07:34 AM
Has this been fixed yet?
16.04.1 with AMD Kaveri boots to black screen
http://askubuntu.com/questions/805503/16-04-1-with-amd-kaveri-boots-to-black-screen
I reinstalled Trusty Thar in the meantime.

stephenbbb
August 15th, 2016, 03:53 PM
I reinstalled 14.04.
I burned a copy of 16.04.1 . I gave it a try but while I hear it wrrrrrrr the screen stays blank.
I'll try again when that bug is fixed: No Display ( that's a biggy huh?!)

Display is TEAC Model LCD-1910

Can you please, describe how you did the re-install and kept the content of the /home dir? my 16.04 install has kernel issues and I need to re-install.
thanks

howefield
August 15th, 2016, 04:57 PM
Can you please, describe how you did the re-install and kept the content of the /home dir? my 16.04 install has kernel issues and I need to re-install.
thanks

Is /home on a separate partition/disk ?

If not, then install over the / partition but don't mark it for formatting, all on the / folder should be wiped with the exception of the /home folder.

If /home is on a separate partition then mount it during the installation at the partitioning stage but again, don't mark it for formatting.

As always, ensure a backup of any important data is done before tackling the process.

freddan80
August 18th, 2016, 09:38 PM
Yeah, it seems that 16.04.1 really is a no go for us AMD-users, the first time I booted the computer I was able to log into Gnome (using Ubuntu Gnome) but after that I just see a GDM screen and after I put in my password the screen goes more or less blank. This is a fresh install so you shouldn't be able to blame fglrx and during the install and first boot I didn't even have a working network since the kernel is a bit to old to work with some of Realtek network cards.

The funny thing is Elementary OS works like a charm, it is just that it's a tad bit to elementary for me *pun intended*.

If someone has a idea what could be wrong, I would be happy to be your guinea pig. Or I might just use a install a disto that doesn't discriminate against us poor AMD users :).

howefield
August 19th, 2016, 07:45 AM
[quote]The funny thing is Elementary OS works like a charm...

As the current release of Elementary is based on Ubuntu 14.04, it isn't really so funny. You may have to revisit the issue when and if you upgrade to Loki when it is released.

If someone has a idea what could be wrong, I would be happy to be your guinea pig. Or I might just use a install a disto that doesn't discriminate against us poor AMD users :).

Please start a new thread detailing your issue rather than tacking on to another.

freddan80
August 19th, 2016, 05:56 PM
[QUOTE=freddan80;13532849]

As the current release of Elementary is based on Ubuntu 14.04, it isn't really so funny. You may have to revisit the issue when and if you upgrade to Loki when it is released.

Please start a new thread detailing your issue rather than tacking on to another.
I'm using Elementary OS beta Loki and that is based on 16.04.1 and everything work as it should but I need my Gnome back and there for I'm back with Ubuntu Gnome.

I will make a new thread as you so rudely suggested.