PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] The installatoin options do not show after booting Ubuntu 16.04 LTS live DVD.

mummasboy
July 28th, 2016, 05:52 AM
Hello,
I have been trying to install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS x64 as an only OS on my hard drive through DVD. The DVD boots but I do not get the first screen of choices where we choose language, and whether to try or completely install Ubuntu etc. Instead it directly goes to live session with a blank screen (not black). I can see the top most panel bar and the network, language, interface button on it. And thats it. Nothing else. It just stops there. I do not know how to tackle this.

I have a intel core2duo, with 2 GB ram, 160 GB sata harddisk. UEFI is not an issue since it is not present.

I installed Ubuntu studio 16.04 LTS x64 on it previously and it was good.

Thank you.

mook765
July 28th, 2016, 11:40 AM
Booting from dvd takes some time...
but it if really stucks on the described point, you should
- verify the checksums (md5 or sha 256 ) off your downloaded iso image. checksums are provided on ubuntu.com downlaodsection.
-burn a new dvd at lowest speed ( maybe not a bad idea to enable a verify-option )
-try to boot new dvd
good luck...

gordintoronto
July 29th, 2016, 01:12 AM
You might be happier with Xubuntu or Lubuntu.

mummasboy
July 30th, 2016, 05:22 AM
@mook765 and @gordintoronto; thank you for the reply. I am going to try them today and post which one worked. Although I am more inclined to install Xubuntu. Lets see what happens. :)

mook765
July 30th, 2016, 09:25 AM
xubuntu comes with the xfce desktop environment which is lightweight and will run without problems on your described hardware.
I have similar conditions and it runs smoothly...

mummasboy
July 30th, 2016, 04:52 PM
The DVD worked finally. And I was able to install successfully Ubuntu 16.04 LTS x64. (Typing this from newly installed Ubuntu. :)). As for the problem, I do not understand what exactly happened there initially. But as of right now it worked. Thank you very much for the input. Really appreciate it. My next goal is to install Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS x64 and a couple ubuntu flavors (including xubuntu) also along side this. Lets see how it goes. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, thank you again.:)