PDA

View Full Version : New Xubuntu User Here, Trying to Automatically Boot into XFCE

michael236
July 27th, 2016, 11:27 AM
This is my first post on the Ubuntu forums, so I'm sorry if it seems a bit awkward.

I'm using an old Thinkpad T61. Upgrading RAM and popping in an SSD has helped make it more functional, but I've found it works best in XFCE in Xubuntu. The problem is every time I reboot I have to turn XFCE back on, as it starts in GNOME.

How would I go about tweaking my settings so that it automatically boots with XFCE on? Thanks in advance.

- Michael

howefield
July 27th, 2016, 11:31 AM
Did you install with an Xubuntu live media or did you use another flavour and have xfce installed thereafter ?

michael236
July 27th, 2016, 11:34 AM
Did you install with an Xubuntu live media or did you use another flavour and have xfce installed thereafter ?

I used Unetbootin, put Xubuntu on a flash drive, then installed it from there. Not sure what you mean about flavour.

howefield
July 27th, 2016, 11:36 AM
I used Unetbootin, put Xubuntu on a flash drive, then installed it from there. Not sure what you mean about flavour.

Flavour as in UbuntuGnome or Ubuntu Mate or other such variant of Ubuntu.

I was trying to understand what you meant by starting in Gnome.

michael236
July 27th, 2016, 11:39 AM
Flavour as in UbuntuGnome or Ubuntu Mate or other such variant of Ubuntu.

I was trying to understand what you meant by starting in Gnome.

Oh, I'm sorry. I'm not familiar with all the Linux lingo. I sort of assumed Gnome was the automatic GUI.

I have to pull up this window manually every session, click XFCE and "save configuration" (which doesn't really, I think?).

Again, I'm still an Ubuntu newb, so I appreciate the patience.

https://i.imgur.com/JOTNbeC.png

yoshii
July 29th, 2016, 06:49 PM
there's also a "default applications" or "preferred applications" setting where you can choose the file manager.