PDA

View Full Version : home server portal?

Ghenghisstar
July 27th, 2016, 08:55 AM
I've set up a home server with various services running -webmin, calibre, mediatomb, samba, deluge, etc. I've set up a supersimple web page to list all these links in my lan network, but does anybody have any experience or ideas how to take things further? e.g - make a nicer(as in ease of usability, I can always write a better looking css) and more useful portal for personal home(so something useful you dont put in public web sites?) needs, maybe add some useful tools or apps(like what?) in one central location.

Any help greatly appreciated

Ghenghisstar
August 18th, 2016, 12:05 PM
Anyone?

Olav
August 20th, 2016, 05:44 PM
Just saw your question. To be honest I am not quite sure what it is that you are asking for. Of course for such a personal/home server as you are describing you are free to make things as complicated or as simple as you like. Personally I prefer simple (or even simplistic) so I did the same thing as you: a static index.html with links to all the various locations in my network.

For something less simple you could run your own wiki (e.g. DokuWiki is quick and easy to set up). That could double as your "portal" and as a place where you collect all your notes.

Ghenghisstar
August 22nd, 2016, 08:44 AM
I'm referring to something like this:
http://portal.erikwebdesign.com/
its something like I already have - a basic simple html page with the links to the various services, but how could i enhance the utility or user experience, e.g. where to take things from here? would that mean some dynamic service/system(any ideas here?)? Ok, maybe not an AI chatbot that interacts with you(lets leave that to more distant future..), but maybe something rss based?

Olav
August 24th, 2016, 07:53 PM
I am still unclear what it is exactly that you think your portal should DO. Or how RSS would help.

But I like the example you gave, it looks simple but it also seems to do a status check on the various services on that server. Something like that could be useful.