PDA

View Full Version : Problems install other programs

blumbly
July 26th, 2016, 08:41 AM
I'm only new to ubuntu and I'm having problems when I try to install other programs.I get messages saying that this software is from a 3rd party and may contain non free components.Then says I can run it as something but I don't understand what it means.
Please help if anybody know what I need to do.
Thanks
Blumbly

grahammechanical
July 26th, 2016, 12:39 PM
Something means anything. Please quote exactly what the message says.

Non free means that the software may or may not contain proprietary (not open source) code. Non free means that we are not free to modify the code or to re-distribute the modified code. Non free does not mean that we must pay for the software.

Some proprietary software is distributed as free to download, install and use in accordance with certain licenses and without charge. An example of this are video drivers that will install through the Additional Drivers utility.

Some open source software is distributed as Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) but there is a charge for using it and we must also comply with certain licenses.

Free as in "free speech" but not free as in "free beer." And as you are buying I will have a large Lager. :)

Regards

blumbly
July 27th, 2016, 07:09 AM
OK this is the whole line for one such program.

COMODO Antivirus and Mail Gateway for Linux. . COMODO Antivirus provides real-time protection for file system. COMODO Mail Gateway brings inbound and outbound email security with real-time antivirus function. . After installation: Please run /opt/COMODO/post_setup.sh script manually to configure it. Please start COMODO from Menu or Desktop. . (Converted from a rpm package by alien version 8.88.)

After installation it says to run (as above) but it won't let you install it.
Then underneath that it has details of the program version and file size.
Then at the bottom it has an orange box with the message.
This software comes from a 3rd party and may contain non-free components.

I hope this helps someone so they can help me.
Thanks

Also I'm at bar and have your beer which table are you sitting at?