PDA

View Full Version : has anyone managed to run the Lubuntu 16.04 LIVE CD Try before Install

Neill_R
July 25th, 2016, 09:08 AM
I would like to report that on several computers that are capable of running Live CD "try before you Install" for version 14.04(.4) that on 16.04 or now 16.04(.1) the graphics renders the feature totally unworkable.

Also I have waited to see the release of 16.04.1 expecting that here on my 14.04 machine i would be informed of the new LTS upgrade. However although my software IS UP TO DATE. only by setting Notify Me of new Ubuntu version to For any new version rather that to LTS do i get offered a new version of 15.10.

Code:
neill@ubuntu-server:~$ do-release-upgrade -c
Checking for a new Ubuntu release
New release '15.10' available.
Run 'do-release-upgrade' to upgrade to it.
neill@ubuntu-server:~$
have they overlooked the 16.04 for LTS or is something else going on

howefield
July 25th, 2016, 09:12 AM
have they overlooked the 16.04 for LTS or is something else going on

No, it seems that more time was needed to test before allowing the automatic upgrade notification to start coming through. As I understand, should be done by the early part of this week, possibly even today.

Neill_R
July 25th, 2016, 12:08 PM
No, it seems that more time was needed to test before allowing the automatic upgrade notification to start coming through. As I understand, should be done by the early part of this week, possibly even today.

Okay I'll wait for that

Now this only leave the fact that the LIVE CD try before install feature is NOT working the graphics are all screwed up. Please DON'T bother telling ME how to fix it. I am concerned that persons unknown will try it and have the same experience. Their views although unknown are likely to be Lubuntu SUCKS even worse LINUX SUCKS. Is that what we want? I don't think so.

I HOPE THAT THE DEVELOPMENT TEAM READS THIS. VERSION 14.04 WORKS WHY NOT 16.04 WHAT HAS CHANGED.

PaulW2U
July 25th, 2016, 12:14 PM
I HOPE THAT THE DEVELOPMENT TEAM READS THIS. VERSION 14.04 WORKS WHY NOT 16.04 WHAT HAS CHANGED.
Very few, if any, Ubuntu developers, whether employed by Canonical or not, read these "user" forums. The official Ubuntu mailing lists (https://lists.ubuntu.com/) are realistically the only way to attract the attention of the "development team". Whether they respond to any issues or queries that you might raise are another matter of course. :)

poorguy
July 25th, 2016, 04:59 PM
Okay I'll wait for that

Now this only leave the fact that the LIVE CD try before install feature is NOT working the graphics are all screwed up. Please DON'T bother telling ME how to fix it. I am concerned that persons unknown will try it and have the same experience. Their views although unknown are likely to be Lubuntu SUCKS even worse LINUX SUCKS. Is that what we want? I don't think so.

Nomodeset is sometimes needed depending on your hardware so that you can get a graphics driver update.

I like a challenge and with Ubuntu 16.04 I have been challenged and I look at that as a learning experience for the next time the same problem shows up.

Once problems and issues are resolved and results are good than that can help with a needed update for the attitude although sometimes that update fails.

If things don't work then make an adjustment to make it work and can take time.

Life is Good

Neill_R
July 25th, 2016, 05:07 PM
Yes I like a challenge too but i am not writing here for myself but for some person unknown who will come across a broken system and might not pursue to find the solution. 14.04 worked 16.04 should also work.

poorguy
July 25th, 2016, 09:21 PM
Yes I like a challenge too but i am not writing here for myself but for some person unknown who will come across a broken system and might not pursue to find the solution. 14.04 worked 16.04 should also work.

Theoretically I agree and sometimes they do run out of the box without problems.

Anyone who comes across a broken system and might not pursue to find a solution isn't really interested in Linux in the first place IMO.

Neill_R
July 26th, 2016, 12:16 AM
I'll say no more