PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] failure to install lubuntu

ulissipus
July 25th, 2016, 02:42 AM
I have Ubuntu 16.04 on an old Toshiba Portege laptop. CD/DVD no longer works so have been trying to install Lubuntu 16.04 from USB drive. However, I always get the following error message:

an operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system.
Press any key to restart.

No way to make it going, I have to remove pen drive and go back to Ubuntu.

My questions:
- is there a way to go back and do a recovery of the Ubuntu 16.04 OS (it used to work quite fine until some 10 days ago); and
- how to enable to drive to read the USB device.

thanks

Bucky Ball
July 25th, 2016, 02:46 AM
Thread moved to Installations and Upgrades.

Your installation problems and questions will get better support here. :)

Firstly, how did you create the USB installer? Which software did you use?

(PS: You are really asking two questions here as you state:

- is there a way to go back and do a recovery of the Ubuntu 16.04 OS (it used to work quite fine until some 10 days ago) ...

This is the stuff of another thread and you don't give any details of that issue here. As the main subject of your post and the title of this thread allude to your installation issue with Lubuntu, let's stick with that here. Gets confusing trying to solve two problems on the same thread. Thanks.)

ks6124789
July 25th, 2016, 11:01 AM
try going into bios and choose boot from thumb drive, instead of hard drive

ulissipus
July 25th, 2016, 01:16 PM
Yes, you're right: let's stick to the USB drive.

I first tried with Windows10 - and always get the following message:

an operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system.
Press any key to restart

"Press any key" gets no response. I have to shut down the computer and turn on again, something that will take me back to Ubuntu.

Then I formatted again the USB device with Ubuntu 16.04 and now get a message that "this is not a bootable drive" or something to that effect.

thanks

ulissipus
July 25th, 2016, 03:19 PM
solved! Created usb drive with yumi which made it correctly bootable.

Many thanks for your help!

Bucky Ball
July 25th, 2016, 06:02 PM
Great. Please mark as solved to help others (Thread Tools or link in my signature).

ulissipus
July 25th, 2016, 08:53 PM
Great. Please mark as solved to help others (Thread Tools or link in my signature).

Thank you very much for your interest and help.