PDA

View Full Version : Can Inkscape import AI's?

Onyros
August 9th, 2006, 11:07 PM
I was working, as usual, on Ubuntu. I had to open a couple of .ai files in a hurry, just to take a look at what was inside and comment on it... but didn't want to boot to Windows, where I have an installation of Adobe Illustrator.

I instantly thought of Inkscape, I thought it would open both files with no problems whatsoever, but I get this error message whenever I try to open these two .ai files:

ERROR: This fileformat is not supported by ill2svg.pl.
(Is it possible you are trying to use ill2svg.pl on a PDF file?)

I'm surely not trying to use it on a PDF file, so... what gives? Can Inkscape open .ai files, or not? I thought it just wouldn't be able to save to .ai :-k

Thanks in advance, guys ;)

AAM
October 14th, 2006, 03:31 AM
www.inkscape.org says it does open them but problems with saving that require XML editing. That's for 0.44 though.

Krakatos
October 14th, 2006, 04:19 AM
I think it was written somewhere on the development pages of inkscape that they plan to increase the compatibility with illustrator files quite soon...

Bloodfen Razormaw
October 14th, 2006, 02:08 PM
You could try opening it in Karbon, and saving it to SVG. Karbon supposedly supports the Illustrator format.

ComplexNumber
October 14th, 2006, 02:31 PM
I was working, as usual, on Ubuntu. I had to open a couple of .ai files in a hurry, just to take a look at what was inside and comment on it... but didn't want to boot to Windows, where I have an installation of Adobe Illustrator.

I instantly thought of Inkscape, I thought it would open both files with no problems whatsoever, but I get this error message whenever I try to open these two .ai files:

ERROR: This fileformat is not supported by ill2svg.pl.
(Is it possible you are trying to use ill2svg.pl on a PDF file?)I'm surely not trying to use it on a PDF file, so... what gives? Can Inkscape open .ai files, or not? I thought it just wouldn't be able to save to .ai :-k

Thanks in advance, guys ;)
yes it can, apparently.

this may be of use to you:
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/IllustratorUsers

Onyros
October 14th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Wow! I hadn't expected to see a 9th of August thread brought back to life, but thanks guys! ;)

It's one less trip I'll be making to my VMWare XP installation every time I need to open AI's.

(gotta love this community) :D