PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty resizing windows partition to make a boot partition with large disk

markmcc2
July 20th, 2016, 06:32 PM
I have a 2 TB hard drive and installed Ubuntu as a second operating system on my computer. I made the Ubuntu partition the final 300 GB on the drive. When I restarted, I got an error "attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'" and neither operating system will boot. Googling, I learned this can happen if grub too far from the start of the disk. (Side note- it's crazy to me that the Ubuntu installer doesn't check the disk size and give a warning and/or automatically perform a workaround). Then I found these instructions on how to Install Ubuntu on a large disk (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingUbuntuOnBigDisk). First I tried boot-repair, checking the 'out of disk' option, but it still wouldn't boot. The final option is to create a boot partition at the start of the hard drive. BUT the problem is that my Windows partition is at the start of the hard drive. I read online that I should not use gparted to move the windows partition (shifting it from the left, rather than resizing from the right). Trouble is, I do not have a Windows boot CD (just got a computer with an image) and so I cannot boot into Windows and use the Windows partition tool. What can I do? Am I even on the right track with my attempted solution?

oldfred
July 20th, 2016, 07:51 PM
Have not seen that type of error with UEFI & gpt systems.

Post this from Ubuntu or Ubuntu live installer:
sudo parted -l
sudo gdisk -l /dev/sda

markmcc2
July 20th, 2016, 10:56 PM
My BIOS is A07. I believe this is legacy, not UEFI. And the system is MBR, not GPT. Could this be an issue?

oldfred
July 20th, 2016, 11:11 PM
Post the partition info.

The only issue with large drives has been old BIOS. Like over 10 years where BIOS was designed for IDE/PATA drives that were 120GB or less. Some newer systems booting from large USB drives have similar issue.

markmcc2
July 20th, 2016, 11:28 PM
I hope I am providing the information you are requesting. From sudo parted -l, I get:

Model: ATA ST2000DM001-1ER1 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 2000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 32.3kB 41.1MB 41.1MB primary fat16 diag
2 41.9MB 12.6GB 12.6GB primary ntfs boot
3 12.6GB 1594GB 1581GB primary ntfs
4 1594GB 2000GB 407GB extended
5 1594GB 1932GB 338GB logical ext4
6 1932GB 2000GB 68.6GB logical linux-swap(v1)

Model: SMI USB DISK (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 4028MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 4028MB 4027MB primary fat32 boot, lba

From sudo gdisk -l/dev/sda, I get:

GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 1.0.1

Partition table scan:
MBR: MBR only
BSD: not present
APM: not present
GPT: not present

Found invalid GPT and valid MBR; converting MBR to GPT format
in memory.

Exact type match not found for type code DE00; assigning type code for
'Linux filesystem'
Disk /dev/sda: 3907029168 sectors, 1.8 TiB
Logical sector size: 512 bytes
Disk identifier (GUID): D61CB083-9E80-4BAA-8866-2058D70CC615
Partition table holds up to 128 entries
First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 3907029134
Partitions will be aligned on 8-sector boundaries
Total free space is 4068 sectors (2.0 MiB)

Number Start (sector) End (sector) Size Code Name
1 63 80324 39.2 MiB 8300 Linux filesystem
2 81920 24686591 11.7 GiB 0700 Microsoft basic data
3 24686592 3113006850 1.4 TiB 0700 Microsoft basic data
5 3113007104 3772964863 314.7 GiB 8300 Linux filesystem
6 3772966912 3907028991 63.9 GiB 8200 Linux swap

The computer is less than a year old. Dell.

markmcc2
July 20th, 2016, 11:37 PM
More background, if this is useful, I originally installed Ubuntu dual boot on this machine about 9 months ago. Used it without issue until this weekend. This weekend, I restarted (hadn't done anything in particular) and this problem occurred. I ran a Dell system diagnostic and on a call with their support, they said it was a hardware issue and replaced the hard drive. So then I started over with this new hard drive (which had Windows installed) and immediately reinstalled the dual boot. This time the problem occurred after the first reboot.

oldfred
July 21st, 2016, 05:04 AM
I am a bit surprised that a year old system is BIOS/MBR. New systems all are UEFI/gpt. And 3TB drives have to be gpt.

But you have a standard old configuration of BIOS with MBR(msdos) partitioning.

What model Dell? Do you have newest BIOS from Dell for that system?
Did you try restoring a Windows boot loader to MBR and directly booting Windows before calling Dell?

My Dell SFF wanted me to make a Dell backup, a Windows backup. I also made a full backup and a recovery flash drive. Lots of flash drives & DVDs, but then can easily repair or restore system. Of course then it wanted to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10. And I am having issues getting rid of the Dell on line backup nag screens.

Do you have drive set for AHCI, not RAID nor IDE in BIOS?

markmcc2
July 22nd, 2016, 06:59 AM
I have successfully been able to install and set up dual boot on the machine. Thank you very much for the helpful comments and questions. They gave me some good clues to follow up on. I learned a lot from this!

Here are the steps that I followed. This resulted in a working dual boot installation. Prior to this, if you turned on the computer, it gave a disk read error and could not boot into anything (it was possible to boot off live disks and BIOS could be accessed at startup through F12). (1) From a flash drive, updated the BIOS from A07 to the latest version, A13. (2) Downloaded a Windows iso and formatted onto a flash drive. (3) Reinstalled Windows from the flash drive. (4) When reinstalling Windows, I deleted all partitions except a very small protected partition that came preloaded on the drive. That is, I deleted: the old Ubuntu partition, the old Windows partition, and a “recovery” partition at the start of the drive that came loaded onto the drive when it was shipped by Dell. (5) Within Windows, I partitioned the drive to leave 500 GB at the end for Ubuntu. (6) Booted from an Ubuntu installation flash drive and installed Ubuntu into the unallocated 500 GB.

I deleted the Dell recovery partition because I read that dual boots may have problems if Windows isn’t installed at the very start of the drive. I also read that it is better to do the drive partition from within Windows, and then install into the unallocated space, rather than to let Ubuntu shrink the Windows partition during installation. I updated to the newest BIOS because who knows, couldn’t hurt.

Prior to this weekend, the dual boot had worked fine since I set it up 9 months ago. I know that right before the problem started, the system (from within Windows) had downloaded some kind of BIOS update (because it had given me a message saying so), and because this happened right before the system stopped booting, I infer this is what triggered the issue.

markmcc2
September 30th, 2016, 10:39 PM
Here is a final update. This should give some closure on the issue, hopefully.

After my above post on July 22, the problem reoccurred after a few days. Then, I gave up on dual boot, wiped the drive, and attempted a single boot. The computer booted ok for a week, and then the problem reoccurred!

After much more pulling of hair, here is how the problem was solved. The hard drive itself was not the problem, because the hard drive had already been replaced (which temporarily had fixed the problem). Next, Dell support replaced the actual physical wire that connected the hard drive to the motherboard. That immediately resolved the issue, and it has now been a few months and I have not had any reoccurrence of the problem. It seems that dual boot was a red herring- the problem occurred even when running single boot. the problem was solely a hardware problem, a faulty wire! This was peculiar because the data on the hard drive could be written/read if you booted the OS from a flash drive. I don't know enough to understand exactly how this all played out within the BIOS, hardware, etc. But I can say that, empirically, replacing that darn wire fixed the problem, while nothing else did.